How do I remove the lid/upper display case of my PB G4 12"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheScavenger, Dec 5, 2007.

1. TheScavenger macrumors 6502

TheScavenger

My PowerBook G4 1.5GHz 12" has a considerable dent in the lid/upper display case. I would like to replace or massage/pull the dent out of the the lid. Does anyone know where i can find detailed instructions for how to remove the lid? I read the repair manual from powerbookmedic.com but they suggested you remove a lot of the internals before messing with the lid. It seems like if I could get a really tiny allen wrench on the screws in the lower portion of the display bezel I could wiggle the lid off.

Thanks, Josh

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

Have you checked iFixIt.com?

3. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

4. TheScavenger thread starter macrumors 6502

TheScavenger

I already checked ifixit. They want you to remove most of the internals before messing with the lid, too.

Josh

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

Based on my experiences with the MacBook Pro, if you can get at those screws successfully, then you can then slip a credit card, or other thin item into the crack there where the screen back (with the glowing apple) meets the hinge compartment. Moving carefully you can work the thin whatever around the edge eventually removing the screen back.

6. TheScavenger thread starter macrumors 6502

TheScavenger

Thats what I was thinking, too. The structural setup of the 12" PBs seem to be similar to the modern MBP.

Thanks, Josh