How do I remove the oleophobic screen protector

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by RalphMac, Aug 13, 2010.

1. RalphMac macrumors member

I'm just going to go and let BB do it with a wet install since I kinda messed up, and I dont have a spare lol. Whats the best way to remove the shield where it wont get damaged or has fingerprints all over?

2. RalphMac thread starter macrumors member

3. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

or you can use the sticker that was included to remove the dust. ;)

4. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

You mean the screen coating that came with the phone?

You can't, as far as I know. The layering is part of the glass.

5. RalphMac thread starter macrumors member

no the shield after you remove the yellow tab

6. RalphMac thread starter macrumors member

Just some regular ol scotch tape? Ok, how do i take it off with tape?

7. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

seriously? pull off a large piece of tape. put it on. pull. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

8. whofeelsitknows macrumors newbie

You just stick the tape to a corner and pull back. If you're concerned, do it slowly.

9. RalphMac thread starter macrumors member

after i remove it, will be able 2 stick back on easily? I just need to move it a few millimeters so goes on perfect lol.

10. whofeelsitknows macrumors newbie

Yes, just be careful not to get any dust under there. There is nothing in the world more frustrating.

11. RalphMac thread starter macrumors member

thanks all M.R. geniuses :). I will try this out.

BTW i already see the bubbles on the screen (idk if its the shield or screen), and could've sworn it was clean but idk. how can iget rid of them?

12. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I would never let BB touch my phone, especially with water involved. The only time BB would ever touch one of my phone is if I was returning it.

13. RalphMac thread starter macrumors member

yea im gonna try to do it myself self one more time with a dry install b4 i let bb touch. it. I just need to figure out how to get these big bubbles from the screen lol.

14. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

This. I can't imagine a 20-something-year-old kid working a part-time gig to pay for school (or partying, whatever) would be nearly as careful with my things as I am.

15. jpowermacg4 macrumors newbie

When I was looking for how to remove my screen protector yesterday... i read something about a guy using a Cable Tie.

[​IMG]

I just happened to have noticed one on my desk (from some product i cut it off from) and tried it 10 minutes ago! It's actually SUPER EFFECTIVE and effortless! Just put the flat side down and push against the sheild and it goes right underneath it easily and pulls it up!

I was making NO progress before that. I was gonna try the tape idea tho... but I heard sometimes that's hard also.

Now I'll be able to easily replace this crappy shield (that now has scratches, thank god the iPhone screen is still good... main reason i wanted to check), and a Power Support already in transit via USPS to me!

Edit: I believe this is the thread I was looking at it on my iPhone yesterday that gave me the idea: http://www.1src.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114592

Edit 2: Wow, it's before the iPhone even existed! Didn't know people used screen protectors before iPhones!