Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emoin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Yep. I have an external firewire drive where I have my entire iTunes library, and in the past it's always been called "NO_NAME," so all of the library entries point to that volume. However, for some reason it spontaneously renamed itself "NO_NAME 1" recently, and iTunes can't find any of my music. How can I get this volume back to its original name?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Maybe I am missing your question, but can't you just click on it and press enter to rename it, I hope that's what you are asking.

emoin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by Wes
Maybe I am missing your question, but can't you just click on it and press enter to rename it, I hope that's what you are asking.
I tried to do that, but for some reason you can't rename a volume the same way you rename folders. Personally, I'm stumped.

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
If you can't do it directly from the desktop, try renaming it from the Get Info window - as I recall, that worked for me in the past. Or maybe I'm imagining that.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Here's what I suggest you do--

Open "Disk Utility" in your Utilities folder. Repair that disk's permissions, under the First Aid tab. That should make it so you can rename the volume just as you would any other file or folder... Somehow, the volume has been locked so that you can't change the name-- there are other ways to fix this, but repairing permissions should take care of any problems associated with it. Rename the folder, relauch iTunes, and you should be good--

let me know if this worked--

pnw

emoin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Here's what I suggest you do--

Open "Disk Utility" in your Utilities folder. Repair that disk's permissions, under the First Aid tab. That should make it so you can rename the volume just as you would any other file or folder... Somehow, the volume has been locked so that you can't change the name-- there are other ways to fix this, but repairing permissions should take care of any problems associated with it. Rename the folder, relauch iTunes, and you should be good--

let me know if this worked--

pnw

The Disk Utility program says that you can only repair permissions on a Mac OS X boot volume. If it makes any difference, the format of the volume is MS-DOS (Macintosh PC Exchange).

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
ah, ouch forgot about that. The fact that it's MS-DOS could be contributing, may I ask why you use this format? Unless you actually use it on MS-DOS computers, you should reformat to the Mac's file system. Anyhoo, here's what you want to do. In the Get Info window, open the Ownership & Permissions window, click the Unlock button and authenticate, then make sure the owner is your OS X username, and that you have Read & Write Acceess. Then open the Name & Extension triangle (since you're already in here) and change the name back--

Hope this helps, tho I might be missing something-- I don't work with alternate formats very often...

pnw

emoin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by paulwhannel
ah, ouch forgot about that. The fact that it's MS-DOS could be contributing, may I ask why you use this format? Unless you actually use it on MS-DOS computers, you should reformat to the Mac's file system. Anyhoo, here's what you want to do. In the Get Info window, open the Ownership & Permissions window, click the Unlock button and authenticate, then make sure the owner is your OS X username, and that you have Read & Write Acceess. Then open the Name & Extension triangle (since you're already in here) and change the name back--

Hope this helps, tho I might be missing something-- I don't work with alternate formats very often...

pnw

It's in DOS format because it's the hard drive from my old computer, a PC. Can I format it to Mac OS X without losing my files?

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
no.

you will have to move them to anoother medium (drive, cd-r, etc) than reformat into HFS+ (MacOS Extended).

then drag back. But believe me, it is worth it. HFS+ is only superceded by one other FS - BFS (BeOS FS).

So, unless you can read BFS on your mac (i dunno, dont got a BFS volume) got HFS+.

Good luck.

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by emoin
It's in DOS format because it's the hard drive from my old computer, a PC. Can I format it to Mac OS X without losing my files?

Yeah as was said, you'll need to move the files off of it briefly-- CD's are great for this... Then reformat. It will certainly be an improvement, it will work like a normal disk should after that.

Did changing the permissions manually work at all?

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.