Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
I need to reset my administrator password.

My Adobe Flash Player requires updating but when I try it asks me for a password. I have been told it is my Mac's administrator password that it is requiring.

My Mac was set up for me by someone who is now dead and I had no idea that they had set a password. I therefore need to reset the password.

I am A VERY BASIC USER and my fear is that any complicated resetting or rebooting, etc will not work and the whole Mac will be rendered useless.

Can anyone please help with a simple answer on how to either reset the password that is fool proof or to tell me if I need to take it to a store for a reset please?

I have a MacBook Pro (Software is Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5)

Thanks people.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
It might be a bit complicated, since you need a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion installer on a USB flash storage thumb drive or DVD.

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

Thanks but this may as well be written in Russian for all the sense it makes, sorry.

The only way i will be able to do this myself is if someone can write.

1. Do this

2. Do this

and so on...

I do not have any discs, boxes, instructions or information from when I bought the Mac just over a year ago.

Sorry to be so demanding i'm not a techno-phobe i'm just a bit techno-slow!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I need to reset my administrator password.

My Adobe Flash Player requires updating but when I try it asks me for a password. I have been told it is my Mac's administrator password that it is requiring.

My Mac was set up for me by someone who is now dead and I had no idea that they had set a password. I therefore need to reset the password.

I am A VERY BASIC USER and my fear is that any complicated resetting or rebooting, etc will not work and the whole Mac will be rendered useless.

Can anyone please help with a simple answer on how to either reset the password that is fool proof or to tell me if I need to take it to a store for a reset please?

I have a MacBook Pro (Software is Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5)

Thanks people.

It is quite simple. Do a command-r boot and this will take you to a recovery screen. Launch Terminal from the Utilities menu then type "resetpassword" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Now pick your account and enter a new password.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
It is quite simple. Do a command-r boot and this will take you to a recovery screen. Launch Terminal from the Utilities menu then type "resetpassword" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Now pick your account and enter a new password.

Sorry but how do I do a command-r boot?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Sorry but how do I do a command-r boot?

Shut off your Mac. Then hit the power button to turn it on and as soon as you hear the chime sound press the command and r keys at the same time. That will force it to boot to the recovery screen.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Thanks but this may as well be written in Russian for all the sense it makes, sorry.

The only way i will be able to do this myself is if someone can write.

1. Do this

2. Do this

and so on...

I do not have any discs, boxes, instructions or information from when I bought the Mac just over a year ago.

Sorry to be so demanding i'm not a techno-phobe i'm just a bit techno-slow!

1. Turn on machine hold down the s key.
2. Once at the text boot prompt the # sign should be there type in then hit enter key, passwd YOUR_USERNAME.
3. Type in then hit enter key, reboot.

That should have reset the password to the new one you put in when asked to do so.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
1. Turn on machine hold down the s key.
2. Once at the text boot prompt the # sign should be there type in then hit enter key, passwd YOUR_USERNAME.
3. Type in then hit enter key, reboot.

That should have reset the password to the new one you put in when asked to do so.

That won't work with Lion. You are referring to a command-s single user mode boot. You can single user mode boot in Lion, but the passwd command will not work.

It needs to be done through the recovery screen like I described.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Last edited:

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
That won't work with Lion. You are referring to a command-s single user mode boot. You can single user mode boot in Lion, but the passwd command will not work.

It needs to be done through the recovery screen like I described.

I did what you said then selected the Utilities from the top bar menu and then selected Terminal and that brought up a pop in window with some letters in but no option to reset password

Nov 28, 2010
located
I did what you said then selected the Utilities from the top bar menu and then selected Terminal and that brought up a pop in window with some letters in but no option to reset password

Type in
Code:
resetpassword
then pick your account and enter a new password.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
That looks like it just resets the root account and not the user's admin account. (Unless I am misreading)

The passwd command takes a parameter passed to it as I show it above if you use the user name after it it resets that users password, give it a try on the command line in Terminal you will see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.