How do i reset my macbook pro 15??

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 99gpgtx, May 6, 2012.

1. 99gpgtx macrumors newbie

I unfortunately had to sell my Mac and i need to reset it to factory settings. There was no disk that came with this laptop...

I need help asap! thanks

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

What version of OS X do you have? If it's Lion, the links GG provided should help get you on track. It's very simple.

3. 99gpgtx thread starter macrumors newbie

4. 99gpgtx thread starter macrumors newbie

everything i read you need a dvd disc with it...mine did not have one, i dont know how to reboot the OS

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the last two links I posted.

6. 99gpgtx thread starter macrumors newbie

what i gather so far is i need to DL LION recovery. save it to an external drive. delete the HD and reinstall the recovery file?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Lion Recovery is already on your Mac, if it came with Lion installed on it. The links give step-by-step instructions on how to use it.

8. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

You can access the Lion recovery by holding the alt/option key while your computer is booting. You'll then get to a selection screen that shows OS X and Lion Recovery. You select to boot into Lion Recovery. You then get to a menu screen with various options. One is Disk Utility. You'll use Disk Utility to erase and format your Macintosh HD. You'll want to select your hard drive icon and go to the Erase tab. You'll want to format the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and in the Name field you can name it the default "Macintosh HD".

[​IMG]

You'll then quit out of Disk Utility when the process is complete... and select the menu item to Reinstall Lion. When this is complete, you'll have a clean installed copy of OS X Lion on your Mac.

9. Turbones macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the last step - installing the OS can be done without the apple id and password? I got my macbook pro with mountain lion preinstalled. Did not purchase that OS from the app store.

I want to restore the laptop to factory settings where a new user would be prompted to set up their user account etc. If I sign in with my details, so as to be able to install mountain lion, wouldn't the mbp be already customized this way? Wouldn't my details be left somewhere on the computer?

Someone please helpppppp. Thanks.