How do I restore a different and possibly bricked iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mikeheenan, Sep 2, 2010.

1. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

My brother gave me his iPhone 3GS to sell, but it appears he possibly bricked it while wiping his info off of it. When it boots up it stays on the apple logo. The phone was jailbroken. He lives an hour away so i don't want to have to go to his place and restore from an old backup on his computer. Is there a way I can restore it on mine with my current backup, which is ios 4.01. I connected it to my computer and after holding the power and home button iTunes recognized it but it would only let me restore it by downloading 4.02 whoch I don't want to do because there's no jailbreak for it

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Backups just have the settings. It has nothing to do with what firmware you'll be at. So, save yourself the trouble of using his backup. Did he save the SHSH blobs. That's your only hope to restore at 4.0.1. Why did he have to erase all to give a phone to a brother?

3. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Short of hardware failure you can't 'brick' the phone. You don't need a back-up to restore the firmware, you just need the firmware you want to restore too and a little luck. The luck part comes from your brother having his SHSH stored via cydia.

1)Download tinyumbrella
    2)connect your phone to the computer
    3)Open tiny and click on the 'Advanced options'
    4)Select your device/version in your case 3gs/4.0.1
    5)Click 'Save My SHSH' button. You should see it returned if cydia has it.
    6) Find and download the firmware you need.
    7)Click 'Start TSS server' in tiny
    8)shift/Windows or Mac/option click restore in itunes and select the FM you just downloaded
    9) When done click "Kick device out of recovery' in tiny

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Bricked iPhones don't exists it can be fixed either with DFU mode and firmware reinstalled or else the phone has hardware issues. Have you checked to see if thre is any warranty in case of hardware issues?

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

yes I know I just thought it needed said again because of the number of people that start there thread with bricked. I'm sure I'm dreaming on this one.

7. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

I'm not here to judge, pad your post count all you want:D

8. powers74 macrumors 68000

powers74

updating

OK, so the phone is in recovery mode. When I option click restore I can't select the firmware that TU downloaded. I have hidden folders on, and the folder doesn't show in iTunes dialogue, and I copied the file into a "jailbreak" folder I created and the file shows, but grayed out so I can't select it.

9. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

TU saves your SHSH hashes. You don't use them to restore. You have to get the firmware somewhere else (google).