How do I restore an item from the Trash?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bollweevil, Dec 12, 2008.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

I put a lot of things in the trash which I didn't mean to. I have not emptied the trash. How can I restore them to exactly the folders they all came from? On Windows, there is an option "Restore" which does this.

2. MacbookAlum1536 macrumors regular

MacbookAlum1536

You can just drag it out of the trash onto the desktop then move to whatever folder you want.

3. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

That's one feature I constantly miss from Windows. It's bizarre since it's a very obvious function to be able to perform.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

While I understand the lack of a restore from trash might be frustrating, how is it that people accidentally put things in the trash?

I'm missing something here.

5. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I miss the whole concept of a Trash Can, how do you accidentally delete files from the computer to start with that you need it there you either want them gone or you don't.

6. bluesTank macrumors regular

No offense to you, but I love how when someone complains about something on a mac that a windows has, people will immediately try and justify why it ISN'T useful. Just like cut and paste....I guess the rationale is "Apple told me its not useful, therefore it is not, and I will not use it"

Why would someone move something to the trash on accident? I dunno, moving multiple files and accidently pick one up? Delete the wrong file? It happens!

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I still don't get how it would... Why would you delete something if you don't know what it does?

8. bluesTank macrumors regular

When you have a thousand image files in different formats, and you are clearing out old ones. I don't know there are a thousand reasons. accidents happen. You can't tell me it hasn't happened to you.

There is just no good reason NOT to have a restore function...

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It hasn't happened to me.

We do grievously need a restore function, though. There are obviously plenty of people who genuinely need it.

10. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

It has happened to me a few times, this is where the idea of having backups of important files comes into play..

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Obviously, because not everyone is as great as you. ;)

12. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Sometimes I delete things by accident - or need to restore to an earlier version that I deleted.

It is a pain and I hope they implement it in OSX.

Not everyone is the same...

13. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

If you use Time Machine you can restore it from there. I believe items restored from time machine appear in the folder they were in when backed up.

14. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

The same people who use the trash as storage, or for some reason only want to free up space when they NEED to.

A restore from trash function would be a great idea, no doubt, I just don't get it, but hey, not going to bother me if it's implemented.

15. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

I end up accidentally deleting files, if I get occasional OX hang ups. So it does happen

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Well on MS/Windows forums, the same thing occurs.

Copy/Paste? We have that... Cmd+C and Cm+V. But if you are talking about the iPhone.... it's only on version 2.x and is much better than Windows Mobile version anything.

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

he said cut and paste, not copy and paste and he's talking about how you can't cut and paste files in the Finder.

18. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

19. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I also miss this function that OSX lacks.

I would like to ask people who say that they don't delete accidentally files if they admit that the whole trash feature is useless. At least for them since they never delete something by mistake.

20. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

The default trash feature in Mac OS X is somewhat lacking in respect to deleting applications. A lot of associated files are left behind when you delete an app, but in this regard it is not that much worse than windows which also leaves much behind (at least with windows' add/remove programs, younglings can't accidently delete applications as easily).

AppCleaner (somewhat simulates the remove program feature of windows) is a nice application that adds functionality to the trash. It can work as a stand-alone application or within its preferences you can activate smartdelete to add its funtionality to the default trash. You can use it to protect apps from being deleted without authorization. Also when you drag an app to the default trash, it will bring the associated files with it keeping your system cleaner.

I find it is much more reliable that other apps for this task and best of all it is totally free. Plus it eliminates much of the faults of macs default trash.

I usually copy and paste, then delete from initial location. A little more work, but it really doesn't ruin my day (sorry, for the sarcasm).

21. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

It just annoys the hell out of me most times I have a terminal open so I remove them there, then the damn files are gone for sure no having to empty files I have already supposedly deleted.

22. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh yeah! Deleting applications to uninstall them works so poorly on the Mac. Once I messed up my install of a program such that it wouldn't open without crashing, and it took me almost two hours to find the config file and completely uninstall it. I would delete the program, reinstall it, and it would still be broken. I kept finding more and more preferences files, cache files, and other collateral junk. Finally I found the config file which had been corrupted, and which hadn't been replaced with each reinstallation. Of course, a PC might have had a similar problem if the uninstaller were written poorly. But at least there is usually an attempt to write an uninstaller.