How do I restore app data on new phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by obstacle1, Oct 25, 2012.

1. obstacle1 macrumors newbie

First of all I am really sorry if this is a ridiculous newbie question, but I have seen an apple genius in person today and made two phone calls to applecare and have been told different things.

I had to get my iphone 5 replaced for the second time today as I was having continuing issues with signal loss and calls dropping. They told me that I would have to set up as a new iphone and not from a backup, just incase the error was somehow stored in the backup (both previous iPhones had the exact same issue). I asked about my app data, and I was told to just sync my iphone before I came to the store, and when I setup my new iphone and transfer the apps over, all the data would be there.

So I just came in, set up as a new phone, and after about an hour wait while it transferred all the apps over, they all contain no data at all. Its as if I have just downloaded them for the first time.

Is there anything I can do?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope.
    When you setup as new you start fresh.
    The app data is only saved in the backup file and if its a faulty backup you restore from then with the app data you might inherit the previous problems again.

3. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I did mine as setting up a new phone and thought it would just connect to iTunes and then let me add any purchased apps that I wanted. Not so! I am now waiting for every app that I ever downloaded, looked at for 2 seconds and deleted to load to my phone, 392 apps to be exact. Ugh! Now I'm going to be spending the rest of the night going through these and deleting them again! :eek:

What did I do wrong? :confused: