How do i restore my MBP laptop to its original state

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dx052, Nov 4, 2009.

1. dx052 macrumors member

I would like to clean up my laptop as I have loads stuff I am trying to get rid off. I would like to get the laptop to the position just like when I bought the laptop took it out the box & start again. I know I need to back up all my stuff but would like to go down that route as I am sure its quicker for me. Thanks

2. Frankie. macrumors regular

Google "reformatting a mac" -- I just got my first MacBook Pro yesterday but if I remember correctly you press "option" on bootup and boot off your OS X cd.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

To backup either use Time Machine or clone the drive with SuperDuper/CarbonCopyCloner.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If you have a retail Leopard disc, you can pop in the disk, double click the Installer, type in your admin password, and it will restart and boot up to the disk.

If you're using the grey system disk that came with the machine or a Snow Leopard Disk, insert it into the drive, restart, hold down the "C" key, and once you see the apple logo you can let go.

Once you can access the menu bar, go to Utilities, Disk Utility, and erase your drive. Quit DU, the installer will start again and you can just follow the steps to reinstalling all of your data. You can customize it also to remove unneccessary printer drivers, and language files.