How do I restore OS X to it's pristine shape?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by comics addict, Sep 2, 2013.

1. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I am confronting some issues with my Mac's OS ( I am currently running 10.8.4) and was wondering if by merely reinstalling OS X via the recovery partition would I manage to bring it back to tip top shape without having to create a new user account or re-migrate my user data back to the drive? Thanks a bunch.

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe telling us those issues can help remedy your problems without resorting to a clean install (the method of formatting the storage drive and then installing OS X back onto it, just like it was born yesterday).

3. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sure. I am having trouble with Notification Center in that I can't seem to get the system respond in time to my inputs and sometimes it doesn't seem to display correctly the messages on the right-hand sidebar. Wouldn't know if I have other obvious issues with OS X. I have been doing some modifications via terminal on pmset settings since I installed a SSD on my MBP. For whatever reason it's, by default, going into standby mode with the SSD after the designated time. :confused:

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Anything recently changed is often the culprit (SSD), but my general purpose second goto step after restarting, is to move the preferences folder to the desktop and restart again. If something is corrupt or miss configured, this will instantly show up. Just make sure to put it back when you're done!

5. chabig macrumors 68040

The answer to the original question is yes. Reinstalling from the recovery partition will restore the OS and leave your user data alone.

6. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your help. I have indeed went ahead and restored OS X and it seems to have solved my issues. :p