How do I restore without upgrading to latest iOS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by macher, Sep 20, 2014.

1. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Hi I have an AT&T iPhone 4S that's eligible to be unlocked. I contacted AT&T and it's ready to be unlocked. Has to be restored via iTunes to be unlocked from what they are telling me.

The issue I'm having is when I try to restore it the only option to to upgrade to latest iOS.

How do I restore without upgrading to latest iOS?

2. Saffy66 macrumors newbie

Saffy66

Apparently even if you could before you can't now, as of several days ago. I was looking at downgrading to iOS7.1.2 but that is no longer signed by Apple (whatever that means) and so 8.0.2 is your only option now :(

3. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

4. XT550 macrumors regular

XT550

Back up your iPhone to iTunes. Disconnect your iPhone leave iTunes open and reset your phone.
    Tap general, reset, and then erase all content and settings.
    Once reset is complete do not slide to set up just plug your phone back to the computer.
    You will be prompted to restore your phone. Select the back up you have just created.
    Wait around 20 minutes for the restore to be complete.
    Your apps might take a while longer to appear.
    That's pretty much it.

5. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

.............^
    .........../ | \
    .............|
    .............|
    .............|

What this guy said.

6. nottooshabby macrumors 6502

You answered my question too. Thank you! Is an iPhone 5 running ios7 worth more than one upgraded to 8? I was thinking so since you can jailbreak 7, but not 8(yet).

7. XT550 macrumors regular

XT550

You can jailbreak 8 though not "officially". Personally I will wait for 8.1 which comes out in two weeks.

8. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I remember running across a program similar to tiny umbrella that was strictly designed to allow you to do a restore on an unsigned firmware, provided it is the one currently installed. Wondershare safe eraser works as well, but is not what I am talking about.