Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snsking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
I just purchased an iphone 5 loaded with iOS 6. I purchased this one specifically because I wanted iOS6

I want to make sure that if something ever happens, I can just restore via recovery mode and shift click my ios6 ispw

What is the exact process to back up my sshh (i believe its that?)

and store it on my computer so if I ever wanna restore I can just keep restoring over and over and never worry about upgrading

whats applications do I need

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If you ever need to restore, you will never be able to restore to iOS 6. Only what it currently signed. As of this time, only iOS 7.1.

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
If it's not jailbroken then you don't have much to worry about in terms of keeping it running smooth without the risk of damaging system files.

Granted SHSH blobs are out of the question, if the iPhone is jailbroken you could install "Software update killer" from Cydia, never ever do a rest settings, and do not fiddle around with tweaks as much as possible.

If it's in non-jailbroken state, avoid installing software update or giving it to someone that accidentally upgrades it to the latest firmware.

I used to own an iPhone 4 with preserved baseband + SAM unlock so i know what it's like to hold on to a jailbroken firmware like dear life.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I'll also add if it's non JB make sure to turn off wifi+data if it's charging. iDevices will poll Apples servers checking for updates if it's plugged in. I remember leaving one of my iPad's plugged in with Wifi turned on and was greeted with a message that it was ready to install the updated OS. It won't happen if it's not charging although you may still get the update message which you can just ignore.

snsking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
So what if I want to clear my settings and content?

Can I still do a settings<general<reset<erase all content and settings?

----------

The iphone is not jail broken, is it on stock clean ios 6. I just want to know what I can do to preserve it for the longest I can, i absolutely hate ios7. I dont mind it downloading on my phone

But I do want to know, if I ever want to clear it completely and start fresh, what can i do?

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
So what if I want to clear my settings and content?

Can I still do a settings<general<reset<erase all content and settings?

If it's Jailbroken you should never do that, your device will get stuck on Apple logo and no longer boots unless you do a fresh latest firmware install if it's not jailbroken however then you can reset settings, it won't do any harm.

snsking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
If it's Jailbroken you should never do that, your device will get stuck on Apple logo and no longer boots unless you do a fresh latest firmware install if it's not jailbroken however then you can reset settings, it won't do any harm.

Yeah it is NOT jailbroken. So I can always just go ahead and go a full system reset on the device itself

ok good

and why doesnt the shsh method work anymore? Isnt it as long as I back up MY shsh, that it should work? Doesnt it check witht the tiny umbrella server?

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
Yeah it is NOT jailbroken. So I can always just go ahead and go a full system reset on the device itself

ok good

and why doesnt the shsh method work anymore? Isnt it as long as I back up MY shsh, that it should work? Doesnt it check witht the tiny umbrella server?

Currently there is no possible way to downgrade the iPhone 5 to an older firmware using SHSH blobs because that would require a hardware level exploit.

snsking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Currently there is no possible way to downgrade the iPhone 5 to an older firmware using SHSH blobs because that would require a hardware level exploit.

Damn. I don't plan on jailbreaking, so, i guess my only option is sit tight on ios6 and reset settings whenever I need to

correct?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

If the device is jailbroken and on iOS 5 or higher, a reset all settings won't put it into a loop. The device will restart and go to the Apple logo, but nothing more. Just press and hold both buttons and it'll restart as if nothing happened. The jailbreak breaks Apple's obliteration (reset) method. Same thing will happen if you try to wipe it with Find my iPhone. It'll go to the Apple logo, but with a hard reset it'll all be back without any notion that it ever tried to wipe itself.

snsking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
If the device is jailbroken and on iOS 5 or higher, a reset all settings won't put it into a loop. The device will restart and go to the Apple logo, but nothing more. Just press and hold both buttons and it'll restart as if nothing happened. The jailbreak breaks Apple's obliteration (reset) method. Same thing will happen if you try to wipe it with Find my iPhone. It'll go to the Apple logo, but with a hard reset it'll all be back without any notion that it ever tried to wipe itself.

It is not jailbroken, nor do I have the intention of jail breaking it

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Perfect. thanks, at least I dont have to worry about the phone upgrading itself :rolleyes:

It does have the ability to do that. While Apple has never done so, over the air updates do have a mandatory function built into them. I'd imagine the public backlash from using it would be extremely negative.

snsking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
It does have the ability to do that. While Apple has never done so, over the air updates do have a mandatory function built into them. I'd imagine the public backlash from using it would be extremely negative.

Samsung phone do this.

Apple products have never done this, and I don't think ever will. So I have no worries for now

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Samsung phone do this.

Apple products have never done this, and I don't think ever will. So I have no worries for now

For now they haven't. All Apple needs is a really good reason to push out the latest version of iOS and your phone will comply without question.

snsking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
For now they haven't. All Apple needs is a really good reason to push out the latest version of iOS and your phone will comply without question.

Yeah, well, NSA hasn't gotten too feisty yet

I'm sure iOS 8 will be mandatory soon

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

Amazon forces FW updates on their Kindle Fire tablets whether you want them or not. It even installs and reboots the device without user input. Google also automatically downloads the latest OS over OTA and it flashes a message if you want to install it. I think in the future Tablet mfg will probably go this route to reduce OS fragmentation. So I can see Apple doing that in the future as well.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
To avoid any possibility of iOS 7 being forced on you or taking up space on your flash storage, I'd jailbreak and install Software Update Killer. It will block any software update, and delete any update files that iOS has downloaded. Even if you don't install any tweaks, a jailbroken iPhone with SUK and nothing else is almost identical to stock. For restoring, you have Semi-Restore or iLEX RAT, both which can wipe your phone but retain your jailbreak.

Good decision being on iOS 6, I hate 7 too.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Step 1) Never restore your phone.

Step 2) Never break your phone. You don't want to get a replacement with the "evil" iOS 7 loaded on it.

Step 3) Never upgrade your phone. You may still have an iPhone 5 while others have the iPhone 10, but at least you get to keep the "genius" skeumorphic design.

Step 4) Suck it up if any software bugs come up. You can't restore to an old software, so you'll have to live with them.

That about covers it I think.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
My 5 is on ios6, I never turn on wifi. As far as I know it will only update on wifi.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My 5 is on ios6, I never turn on wifi. As far as I know it will only update on wifi.
It can only automatically download on WiFi (if it's plugged in and has enough space), but updating itself is still up to the end user. But in general OTA only works over WiFi. Not too realistic for most not to have WiFi on.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

OTA updates in iOS do have the ability to be downloaded via cellular data. Bu the is disabled via the carrier bundle for nearly every carrier or the updates are far beyond the maximum allowed size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.