How do I revert back to 10.9 Mavericks when Yosemite killed my restore drive?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by shenan1982, Aug 14, 2014.

1. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

So I noticed my restore partition is gone. I want to go back to Mavericks. No matter how much I want to like Yosemite, it's just way too buggy in DP5 to be reliable. I've had random lock ups, more beach balls than a sunny day in Miami, and so many apps just aren't compatible.

I want to go back to 10.9.... issue is there's no restore drive on my computer. I can obtain a copy of Mavericks, so what's the best way to tackle installing it? Thumb drive?

Also, if I do a partition and install, will re-installing Mavericks bring back my Mavericks restore partition\drive?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

When you install Yosemite on your main drive or on your Maverick partition, it over-writes the Maverick restore files with Yosemite restore (this should not be a surprise).

You can erase the Yosemite drive or partition, then reinstall Maverick from USB drive after downloading it from AppStore.

But, if you didn't do a back-up of your Maverick stuff with TimeMachine or other type backup, you will have lost your content.

There are several existing threads about going back to Maverick on this forum if you browse/search.

3. SqdnGuns macrumors newbie

SqdnGuns

Use Internet recovery?

Command + R > Disk Utility to whack Yosemite > Set your Internet connection then download a fresh copy of Mavericks

4. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

When I do that then wipe the drive, and then restart and do the install fresh it keeps wanting to install Yosemite. ???

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Did your Mac originally ship with Mavericks ?

If yes (and only if yes) you can use Internet Recovery by pressing Cmd + ALT + r on chime.

This will reinstall Mavericks if Mavericks is the OS your Mac came with.

6. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Yes, it did. But when I run internet recovery it launches the installer for Yosemite... that's what I'm saying... and the disk utility shows the disks as locked down so I can't do a real partition, just an erase.

7. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

8. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

9. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

This is proving to be a pain in my arse!

Ended up just making a boot usb after the internet installer failed without any logical explanation 2x

Attached Files: