How do i rip n burn TV show dvd ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Krispy162, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Krispy162 macrumors regular

Krispy162

I have a few dvd tv series that i want to back up. They were kind of pricey so i'd like to make an extra copy!

I have Mac The Ripper, Handbrake & Toast 9. I tried to google some tutorial but i didn't see any or any that were really helpful with what i want.

I want to be able to make a copy of the dvd w/the menu and episode chapters. I don't really care for the extras.

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You have everything you need already.

Here's a quick and easy tutorial.

1. Use MTR to rip the DVD. Rip the "Full Disc" since you want to keep the menu structure.

2. Use Toast to burn the DVD. If you have DVD+/-R-DL burner, you won't have to compress before burning (most commercial DVDs are larger than 4.3GB). I have Toast 7, but I think newer versions of Toast will allow you to remove items like special features, etc. If you remove the extra languages, trailers, outtakes, etc, you could compress the actual shows less.

You won't need Handbrake for what you're trying to do.

ft

3. Krispy162 thread starter macrumors regular

Krispy162

Okay i'll try this but if i only have single layer dvd+/- what do i have to do to compress? Is that done right in toast?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes, as long as you select "DVD" rather than "DVD DL" near the burn button and make sure "Use Fit-to-DVD video compression" is checked near the bottom left, Toast will handle the compression to a single layer disk.

Also, be sure you are using the "VIDEO_TS Folders" selection for this.

Attached Files:

5. Krispy162 thread starter macrumors regular

Krispy162

Worked great! Thanks!