How do I rip US Region 1 films in the UK?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MrCatMan, Feb 20, 2009.

1. MrCatMan macrumors member

I have about 300 US Region 1 films on DVD which I cannot put through mac the ripper or handbrake.

It says that there are bad sectors even though the discs are in perfect condition. It happens on every US film whilst UK films run through easily

Someone on this forum suggested that there was a US version of handbrake but I haven't been able to find it.

Any ideas wise forum?

MrCatMan

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

When I was in Ireland, I downloaded a version of HandBrake from the generic HandBrake website that let me rip Region 2 DVDs.

The HandBrake that I had downloaded in the U.S. didn't work for them, and the U.S. DVDs that I have tried with the Ireland HandBrake won't rip with it.

I kept them both and called the second one HandBrake European.

The website SHOULD just let you download whatever region HandBrake is appropriate for where you are.

Oh, and the Region 2 HandBrake is markedly larger in size, despite being the same version number.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

There aren't any regional versions of Handbrake. :confused:

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Are you still spreading this FUD?? :rolleyes:

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yeah, there aren't any differences.

I have some R2 discs, I've changed the DVD region on an old iBook and I use Mac The Ripper to copy them to a drive. Then I use Handbrake how I would normally.

6. MrCatMan thread starter macrumors member

So if I can understand then I need another Mac that has had the region code set to region 1...Are there no other ways as these seems pricey.

7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

You can flash the firmware on your DVD drive to region-free. Depends what Mac and DVD drive you have though - can you go to System Profiler, then Disc Burning and copy and paste what it says?

If you don't have a Mac Pro or Power Mac then it may be better to buy a full sized external DVD drive to facilitate ripping/playing your Region 1 DVDs. Then you won't void your warranty on the Mac if you flash the firmware and it goes pear-shaped.

8. MrCatMan thread starter macrumors member

Won't be able to do this til I get home tonight. Thanks I will post later.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You can change the region a couple of times. Change it once and rip everything, then change it back.

10. voodoofish macrumors regular

you could just buy a cheap external usb DVD player....