How do I run a CD in a MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by totalmacnewbie, Aug 8, 2007.

1. totalmacnewbie macrumors newbie

This is a crosspost from the Mac Peripherals page - maybe it fits better here?

I'm trying to connect to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I put the installation CD in my MacBook and I see the SetupWizard CD on my desktop, but once I double click it I can't get the SetupWizard.exe file to run. Which application should I be using?

I get the error message "There is no default application specified to open the document "SetupWizard.exe." Which app do I choose?

I know this is a stupid question, but I'm the only Mac user I know - and this is my first Mac purchase. Thanks in advance for any help :eek:

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

.exe files are Windows installers that cannot be opened on Macs. Your router should be able to be set up on your Mac through a website interface. Try typing 192.168.1.1 into your browser's address bar.

3. totalmacnewbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the help! I was going crazy reading through the application list.

I still cannot get it to work when it's connected (router to my modem and MacBook to the router), and when I called tech support they told me to return it :rolleyes: So it looks like I'll have a chance to read over what routers are good for MacBooks before I get a new one.

4. Yoursh macrumors 6502

What he said.

The router needs to be setup before it will work correctly. The windows disc that came with it is a quick setup guide. You can set it up with a mac by typing the address 192.168.1.1 into your web browser of choice. You should be flagged to put in a user name and password. Leave the name blank and type in 'admin' as the password without the ''. This should show you a settings page with multiple tabs like security, wireless, and etc. This is the settings of the router. You can then set it up however you need to. Like wireless security or whatever. Then click save at the bottom and the router should cycle and be ready to go.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

That router is perfectly fine for Macs, I have two and most of my friends use them as well and we never have had any problems using them with any kind of Mac. It really, really pisses me off that while they make decent hardware, companies like Linksys insist on telling you to use that stupid setup CD. Every router can be configured through the web interface, as Yoursh mentioned in his post. They put that dumb CD in the box so, if you have a PC, you get to install unnecessary bloatware, and if you have a Mac and you're a noobie, you're just confused. And of course their tech support is clueless. Don't waste your time returning it, I'm sure it works fine. Just try to get it setup and as you run into specific problems, just post your questions here and we'll be happy to help.

Just make sure you turn on wireless security! (WPA)

6. bartelby macrumors Core

I agree with mrogers, I also have that router and it's been rock solid for a few years. I've never needed to reset it or anything.

7. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Hey --

I just bought a WRT54G as well and spent 9 hours on the phone with tech support. If it is "Rev 8" (which it should say by the serial number) definately return it -- it seems like a lot of these are bum models... and there aren't any firmware updates yet.

After I went through a heck of a process getting it configured (the configuration settings didn't save with Safari) I have a 25% slower download speed over wireless than I do wired in.

I loved my other router... same model, one year older... but it had the "water spillage treatment" and doesn't really work anymore. This new revision isn't worth the time to tinker with it.