How do I run a complex Setup.bat file on my mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Icefire817, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Icefire817 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum.
    Anyways, I'm installing a Empire Total War (I know it's a PC game but steam and crossover help a lot) and the only thing i'm having trouble with is this setup.bat file.
    Is there a way to run it without getting another app? Like using applescript?

2. foidulus macrumors 6502a

You didn't tell us what you want to accomplish with this, but Windows bat scripts will not work, however BASH scripts(which IMO are infinitely more powerful) will.

There are a ton of tutorials and BASH scripting so I suggest you get googling then get started. They are a lot of fun to write!

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Ah, you have CrossOver? Then you CAN indeed run Windows .BAT files. The procedure is a bit unintuitive, but once you figure it out it's easy to remember.
    1. Start CrossOver, if it's not already running
    2. Menu Bar -> Programs -> Run Command...
    3. Select the bottle to use - for you this would be the bottle you're installing the game in
    4. Click Browse and find your BAT file
    5. Click Run

4. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

While the methods described above will work, there is a more simple alternative however it requires some more $. You could install windows using a bootcamp partition or you can purchase vmware or virtual box, a free vmware alternative and install window with that. I have tried running very complicated .bat files on my Mac with no success and I know from experience the best way is to use windows on your Mac.

5. Icefire817, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

Icefire817 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot guys! I'll try using the crossover method (which I tried previously and it failed for some reason) and get back to you.

Thanks a ton, It worked perfectly and loaded in all the files I needed :).
    Great advice wrldwzrd89!