Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skoht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2005
I am completel new to mac... and am driving myself nuts trying to run avi movies... is there a way to??? I am on a Mac OS X 10.3.5 if that helps... if someone could help me and dumb it down that would be great. thanks for your help.

Skoht in Edmonton

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
vlc is great but I find mplayer a bit more vast in what it will play. mplayer also scrubs through video much better.

there are about 3-4 different releases of mplayer on osx and I really like this one

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
rickvanr said:
I personally like to handle everything in Quicktime...

I'm the same I have divx 6, xvid, 3ivx, mpeg2, flip4mac (for wmv), ac3, ogg components installed for quicktime pro, I haven't found anything it can't play yet, but I keep vlc around just incase.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
DivX 5 does not support Mac OS X 10.4 or QuickTime 7. We are working with Apple to resolve several compatibility issues

Any other link I'm missing?

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
yg17 said:
DivX 5 does not support Mac OS X 10.4 or QuickTime 7. We are working with Apple to resolve several compatibility issues

Any other link I'm missing?

You might want to search for DivX Fusion it is the beta of DivX 6 for OS X. I got the DivX 6 component with Toast 7.0.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
rickvanr said:
I personally like to handle everything in Quicktime, you can download "Divx for Mac" from http://www.divx.com. You might need an AC3 codec too, but that's easy to find just google "AC3 QuickTime".

I prefer QT to not handle anything at all. I'm not a fan of it on either OS. :eek:

As for other players... I've used XinePlayer occationally. It's decent enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.