how do I run my MacBook through a cinema display

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by multiplier, Mar 1, 2010.

1. multiplier macrumors newbie

This is sad I don't know this, but I've only used Macs for a year and have only used a Macbook. This weekend I bought a cinema display to go with it. I plugged in the DVI cable, but was expecting there would also be a cable from the display into the wall socket? The display has four cables coming out of it, the DVI, USB, firewire and another. I clicked the display's power button, but only get a black screen. Is there a missing power brick somewhere?

I'm at a new job and a little scared to ask a dumb question as I struggle to get this hooked up :(

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

You'll need a cable to hook the macbook up to the display. What macbook do you have? I believe they come standard with mini-dvi ports. You'll have to get a mini-dvi to dvi converter, unless the Cinema Display comes with one (which I'm not sure it does)

If you're having trouble plugging it into the wall, I don't know what to say! Are you absolutely certain there's no AC cable?

3. multiplier thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got the DVI hooked up, it's the AC cable I'm confused about. I didn't get one when I bought it. But also, I'm confused as to where it connects. I'm using a Macbook Pro and the cinema display looks like this -

[​IMG]

As you can see, there's nothing that plugs into the wall. If you look at other models, you can see a second cable coming out of the back of the display that goes into the wall -

[​IMG]

Does one of the 4 cables plug into a power adapter which then goes into the wall?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's a power cord you need to plug in.
    image3_20081014.jpg
    On taking a second look, you posted pics of two different displays. Which model do you have?

5. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I don't know much about these displays, but there's nothing in the box that has prongs?

From the apple website, it looks like it has it has a magsafe cable...try plugging that into the macbook? I have no idea.

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

If it's the first one you're missing the power brick for the display. Not sure about the newer ones.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is a power cord that plugs into an outlet to provide power to the display. The magsafe cable on the new ones is for providing power from the display to the MacBook.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

Do you still have the original packing? Check if for a power brick.

Did you get the display new, or was it dropped off un-packed for you?

Do you still have the original documentation? I'm almost 100% certain there will be a piece of paper that lists what should have come in the box. Certainly the setup instructions will talk about plugging (and how to do it) the display into the wall.

If you can find the serial number on the unit, there is a spot on Apple online site -- go to Apple.com and click on "support" in the top section, then "tech specs" in the middle area. You should then see a field where you can enter the serial number. If this doesn't work, you might have to browse the "manuals" section.

Is it possible your work-place is playing a prank on you? If so, just go with it - laugh along with them. You're the newbie - until the next employee is hired.

Good Luck.:)

Good Luck.

9. multiplier thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the display I bought is the first example. So I need a power adapter/brick to plug into the wall, but which cable does it plug into on the other end?

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

Once you get the brick, it should be obvious. Or, you could take a photo of the 4 ends and someone here will recognize the end. But first, get the brick.

Update: I have a 24" Cinema Display with a single cord connection. The end that goes into the power brick on mine looks, I believe since I'm going from memory and I'm going to unplug it.... a little like a figure " 8 " from the end. But as I said, once you have the brick it will be obvious.

11. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

did you follow what snberk103 suggested above?

check the packaging again..there should be a power cord.

12. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

So you do have the display already connected to the ports on the MacBook right?

Because here is what you need with the display:

Here is the cables & power-brick for the Apple display:
    [​IMG]

Notice the big power brick; that has two ports...one for the OUTLET CABLE (3-prong power cable) and a smaller magnetic cable that is attached to the back of the cinema display)

There are four cables;
    1) DVI cable
    2) USB Cable
    3) FireWire Cable
    4) Small power lead to the Power-brick which supplies power to the display itself

then you have the Power Brick; which just has the 3-Pronged cable that pugs into it then the wall.

13. multiplier thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much Thirteen, that clarified completely. I bought this off someone on Craigslist and had assumed they'd given me all I need, but my fault for overlooking the obvious.

Ok, this is getting weirder.

The woman I bought it from claims she has never had a power brick. She used a G4 and used this cinema display, but says she never had to plug it into the wall. She plugged the DVI cable into her tower and that's it. The monitor just worked. Is this even possible? Don't cinema displays always have to plug into the wall?

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

There has to be some way to for the display to get power from the wall. That is for sure. I am not an expert with Apple Cinema displays, but I can say with near certainty that there are only 3 ways to do this.

1) The display has transformer (the "brick") internally. So it plugs directly into the wall. In some cases the power cord is permanently connected to the display and can not be removed. In some cases the power cord will have a standard male end that plugs into the wall and a female end that plugs into the display. You don't have one of these.

2) The display gets its power from the computer. I've only ever seen these on older non-Apple systems, but I have no experience with G4s. One cable - in your case the DVI plug - connects to the video-out port on the computer. The other cable plugs into back of the computer into a special "power-out" plug. The computer pulls the power from the wall on its own power cord, and then feeds some of that power to the display through the "power-out" connection. I suppose its possible you have one of those.... but I doubt it. It does require two cables, however, from the display to the computer.

3) This is the standard current way. You have a cord from the display to a brick that connects to the wall.

In your first post you talked about 4 cables, and called the 4th "another". Can you describe it or better yet take a photo of it?

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

The old Apple Display Connector combined power, usb, dvi and vga in a single cable from the computer.

To the OP, you need that brick in Thirteen's picture. Either ask the seller to check again, or search online for the part which should be $80-90 used.

16. multiplier thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the 4th line coming out from the display, which I assume goes into the brick -

[​IMG]

So from the sound of it, neither I or this lady knew that previous Apple computers actually powered the monitor, thus she wasn't lying when she said she'd never owned the brick.

If I were to order one online, can someone recommend a specific brick/power adapter that would work?

17. snberk103 macrumors 603

The other option is that the seller knows about the brick, and didn't sell it to you. Perhaps she is selling it someone else?

18. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

If she owned and ran this monitor, she has/had the brick. It came with it. It's required to run it. You can't just plug it in to the tower like the old G4s. It's possible it is sitting on the floor by her tower as you ponder this. What other use does she have for it?

Other possibility is that the brick was broken in some way, and that's why she sold it, and that's why she's playing dumb.

19. jdechko macrumors 68040

Link, if it's a 20" ACD (as it appears to be).

Sorry, dude.

20. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

+1
    there is no question of it not being there...it has to be there!

try talking to her once again...every electronic device comes with a cable/ charger and your display is no different.

21. Texas Mac Fan, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

Texas Mac Fan macrumors newbie

30" Mac monitor with broken cable

I have a 5 year old 30" Mac monitor with a broken cable from the monitor to the brick. Can I buy a new cable and have someone reattach to the monitor?