How do I save an iMovie project to an Mp4 Format? TIA

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by GarrettLambert, Jan 8, 2010.

1. GarrettLambert macrumors newbie

How do I save an iMovie project to an Mp4 Format? I have created a video using iMovie and want to know how to save it to an Mp4 format. Thoughts? TIA

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Welcome.

First some clearing up of proper terms.

An iMovie project contains all the clips (video, music, pictures, ....) you have imported into iMovie (be it by capturing directly from camera or by importing it by other means) and the sequence(s) you put together.
    The sequence is the one containing all the clips you choose to be edited together.

That means you can't really export the iMovie project as an .mp4 file, only the final sequence.

An .mp4 file is only a container for video and audio using different codecs like H264 (video) or AAC (audio) or some others.
    .mp4 files use codecs that are very compressive and lossy, as they do not store every frame, which is nit suitable for editing.

So in order to give you better help, can you tell us what iMovie version do you use, what kind of footage did you edit (SD - Standard Definition or HD - High Definition) and what shall happen do the exported file?

Have you tried the exporting features of iMovie? There are even some presets.

There is also MPEG Streamclip which gives you more control over the final file, but you first have to export a very good and not so much compressed file out from iMovie, either a DV encoded .mov file for SD, or an AIC encoded .mov file for HD.

PS: It just came to me: do you want to export the final sequence as one .mp4 file or the whole project, so that all captured/imported media (used and unused in the final sequence) is converted to .mp4 files?