How do I save to a folder in my dock?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hydrocity, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone, quick question.

You know how you can put folders in the dock (On the right hand side of the dashed line)? Well how do I save a file directly into that folder? Im not seeing the folder when the save selection popup drops...

2. simsaladimbamba

As the Dock is not an actual location to store files, more like a place to put aliases onto (alias = shortcut), you can't actually save something to the Dock.
    But the folder you dragged onto the Dock is still in the place you dragged it from, therefore using the SAVE dialog should allow you to navigate to the actual location of the folder, which is NOT the Dock.

3. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh I see. I thought it was a place where you can keep your folder, instead of using your desktop. Just a cleaner look I guess. But I will save to the original folder in my documents and hopefully I can access it through the folder on the dock. Thanks

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just drag and drop the folder you are trying to access to the dock and then it will show up there.

5. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but apparently you cant save directly into that docked folder.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. You create a folder anywhere you want. For example, create MyFolder in your Documents folder.
    2. You drag that folder to the Dock, creating an alias (shortcut) on the Dock that points to that folder.
    3. You can save files to the /Users/yourusername/Documents/MyFolder, or you can drag and drop items to the Folder icon on the Dock. Either way, it all ends up in the same place.
    4. You can open the folder from Finder or from the Dock.

7. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you :)