How do i schedule apps to start?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AndyR, Apr 8, 2008.

1. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Just wondering how I would go about scheduling an app to start in Leopard?

Basically, I want to start Transmission at 1am and then exit at 6am so that it runs during my ISP unmonitored bandwidth time as I keep getting close to my bandwidth allowance.

I imagine its something with automater but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Thanks!

2. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

cron, possibly? Are you familiar with the Terminal?

There's gotta be a better way, though.

3. AndyR thread starter macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Never thought of using the cron. Would prefer an easier gui way if poss though.

Will keep looking.

Thx

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You can use Automator Apps and iCal. Just create two Automator workflows, one to open Transmission and one to close it, then set up repeating events in iCal and set the Alarm function to "Open file". For your 1AM event, choose the Automator App that starts Transmission, and the other for the 6AM event.

cron would be more efficient, but you would have to know a bit of Terminal commands. Basically you'd create a file called "crontab" and in it place a line that reads something like this:

15 6 * * * open [path to file or application]

The numbers at the beginning are a sort of reverse time code, in this order:

Minute Hour Day Month Day of the Week

So if you wanted an Automator App called "StartTransmission.app" in your Documents folder to start at 1AM every day of every week of every month, you'd do:

00 1 * * * open ~/Documents/StartTransmission.app

For the second script:

00 6 * * * open ~/Documents/StopTransmission.app

Those can be in the same file, on separate lines. Save it as crontab, as plain text without any file extension (don't just hide it) then go to the Terminal and enter:

crontab [path to crontab file]

That will tell the computer to run those tasks in that crontab file at the specified timeframe.

EDIT: LOL, see you're already familiar with cron, after I typed out that long post. Oh well, the first way's still easier although I still think cron would be better.

jW

5. AndyR thread starter macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Thanks for all the ideas. I prefer the ical and automater method, but I just realised I can tell Transmission to throttle speed between certain times, so I will do this. Have it throttled back to 0 kbps during peak and unlimted during off-peak.

Thx guys!