How do I search by name in Spotlight (in Lion)?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ceilingcat, Sep 4, 2011.

1. ceilingcat macrumors newbie

With Snow Leopard, when I type in a search phrase in Spotlight, say "travel pics", and then click "Show All in Finder", I can switch between searching for files or folders with the string "travel pics" in their names, or for files/emails/etc with that phrase in the content.

However, with Lion, it seems like I can only do search in content now. To search in the file/folder name, I have to first click "Show All in Finder" and then add a search criterion, which seems unusually cumbersome. Anyone has a better work flow? Thanks!

2. smilingpolitely macrumors newbie

This really puzzled me too, very strange thing to remove. It's still there, and implemented in a better way I think.
    If you hover the search term in a Spotlight window, the refine searching options is now a popup there.

3. ceilingcat thread starter macrumors newbie

I could never got it to pop up through hovering. Adding a space to the end of the search phrase after the Spotlight window works though.

For example, go to Spotlight, type in "travel pics", then choose "Show All in Finder". In the window that pops up, the phrase "travel pics" would be highlighted, I can then press right arrow and then space to make it "travel pics ". Now I would see the popup 'Filenames contains "travel pics"' option.

Certainly unintuitive to me.

4. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

is there a way to search by name by default? That's what most people want so i'm shocked Apple sets it to content which is much more confusing

5. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I really doubt that. You can easily search by name though if you type in "name:<your search term>"

6. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

It's a hassle to have it search content if you have thousands of files of files like most people do. Pictures, movies, music. It's all too broad unless you search by file name....and it would be nice to do by default :)