How do I "search Google" using Chrome?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MoodyMedStudent, Mar 24, 2011.

1. MoodyMedStudent macrumors member

Everyone is probably aware that you can highlight text in OSX, right click on it and an option will come up to "Search Google for <whatever text you selected>". The problem is, this always searched Google through Safari when I want to use Chrome instead. Anyone know of any settings anywhere I can change this?

2. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Not sure, but you can copy and paste something into Chrome's address bar, if it's not a URL then it returns google search result.

3. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Just type what your searching for in the address bar.

4. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Do you have Chrome or Safari set as the default browser? If its the former, I don't understand why it wouldn't automatically search with that browser. :confused:

5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I think this is the correct answer. I'm using Chrome, and when I select text and right-click to "Search Google for...", it performs the search in Chrome.

To the OP: Open Safari, and check the Preferences, making sure Chrome is set as your default browser.

Attached Files:

6. brucem91 macrumors 6502

I am using google chrome. If you highlight some text, you can right click it and a menu will pop up. The second option will say "Search Google for 'your text here'".

7. MoodyMedStudent thread starter macrumors member

Ok so it works when I click "Search Google for..." through the Chrome browser (i.e. I highlight text in the Chrome browser) but if I do it for something in Preview for example it'll just pop it open in Safari... does this happen to you? Chrome is set as my default browser...

Thanks.

8. KirkL macrumors 6502

In Mail for example, if you right click some text and click "Search Google..." it opens Safari even if Chrome is your default browser. That's what the OP's saying.

9. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Wow, you're right. Both open the Google search in Safari. Seems like an oversight on Apple's part. :confused: