Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyMedStudent

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Everyone is probably aware that you can highlight text in OSX, right click on it and an option will come up to "Search Google for <whatever text you selected>". The problem is, this always searched Google through Safari when I want to use Chrome instead. Anyone know of any settings anywhere I can change this?

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
Not sure, but you can copy and paste something into Chrome's address bar, if it's not a URL then it returns google search result.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Everyone is probably aware that you can highlight text in OSX, right click on it and an option will come up to "Search Google for <whatever text you selected>". The problem is, this always searched Google through Safari when I want to use Chrome instead. Anyone know of any settings anywhere I can change this?

Just type what your searching for in the address bar.

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
Do you have Chrome or Safari set as the default browser? If its the former, I don't understand why it wouldn't automatically search with that browser. :confused:

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Do you have Chrome or Safari set as the default browser? If its the former, I don't understand why it wouldn't automatically search with that browser. :confused:
I think this is the correct answer. I'm using Chrome, and when I select text and right-click to "Search Google for...", it performs the search in Chrome.

To the OP: Open Safari, and check the Preferences, making sure Chrome is set as your default browser.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-24 at 7.04.27 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-24 at 7.04.27 PM.png
    98.3 KB · Views: 68

brucem91

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2009
I am using google chrome. If you highlight some text, you can right click it and a menu will pop up. The second option will say "Search Google for 'your text here'".

MoodyMedStudent

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I think this is the correct answer. I'm using Chrome, and when I select text and right-click to "Search Google for...", it performs the search in Chrome.

To the OP: Open Safari, and check the Preferences, making sure Chrome is set as your default browser.

Ok so it works when I click "Search Google for..." through the Chrome browser (i.e. I highlight text in the Chrome browser) but if I do it for something in Preview for example it'll just pop it open in Safari... does this happen to you? Chrome is set as my default browser...

Thanks.

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
In Mail for example, if you right click some text and click "Search Google..." it opens Safari even if Chrome is your default browser. That's what the OP's saying.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Ok so it works when I click "Search Google for..." through the Chrome browser (i.e. I highlight text in the Chrome browser) but if I do it for something in Preview for example it'll just pop it open in Safari... does this happen to you? Chrome is set as my default browser...

Thanks.

In Mail for example, if you right click some text and click "Search Google..." it opens Safari even if Chrome is your default browser. That's what the OP's saying.
Wow, you're right. Both open the Google search in Safari. Seems like an oversight on Apple's part. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.