How Do I Secure My Wireless Internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WabeWalker, Apr 20, 2007.

1. WabeWalker macrumors member

I have a Macbook (running OS X 10.4.9) and just finished connecting it to the modem/router box thing that was supplied by my internet company.

I followed the onscreen instructions and the whole hardware installation took me about fifteen minutes - and yes it works fine; my MacBook now connects wirelessly with the router thing....

But how the heck do I go about securing the connection?

If anybody could help me out here I'd really appreciate it - and I'll add, as well, that I have no idea what the hell I'm doing here. All I know is that, so far, I've never had to type in any sort of a password? That's a bit odd, isn't it?

Also, how do I find out if anybody else has been logging onto the net via my connection - does OSX maintain a log file for this somewhere?

2. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

What you will need to do, is in your internet browser, type 192.168.1.1 into the search bar. From there, go to the security tab (may be called something else depending on your router) and set up WEP2 encryption. It should all be fairly straight forward once your there.

Thats the most basic form of securing a wireless network and should be fine for a home network.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What kind of router are you using? For my WRT54G I type 192.168.1.1 and type in the username and password (default is admin for both of them). Then I click on wireless, and then wireless security, I changed the security to WPA Personal and entered the password and then saved the settings. I then reconnected to the router, I believe it asked for a password the first time, but I don't remember.

EDIT:
    I would not suggest using WEP encryption as it is not as secure as WPA or WPA2.

4. WabeWalker thread starter macrumors member

Bear with me please. I'm lost already. Exactly where am I supposed to type in the number "192.168.1.1"?

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The same place where you would type www.google.com .

Attached Files:

6. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Ah my bad, I meant WPA2. And yes I agree, 12 year olds can get through a WEP secured network.

It's late here in England :eek:

7. WabeWalker thread starter macrumors member

Are you saying that I should type this number into the address bar and then hit enter?

But when I do that nothing happens?

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's weird, but yes you're supposed to type it in the address bar. What type of router are you using?