How do I secure my wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wesk702, Mar 17, 2008.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

It's my first time doing this so i'm pretty clueless.
    I have a new mac pro
    a netgear mr814 wireless router
    and a sb5120 motorola cable modem surfboard.

I tried looking for stuff online but didn't know exactly what to look for.

I just wanna set up a password secured network cause I think me neighbors be stealing me bandwidth

2. sleepingworker macrumors 6502a

sleepingworker

Try this article to start: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Airport/5.0/en/ap2084.html

Good luck!

3. wesk702 thread starter macrumors 68000

wesk702

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

assuming it is still as the default configuration. Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser where you would normally type the website. For the username try admin and for the password try password or password1 (normal defaults by manufactures). Then look for something like a security tab, and then for an like WPA or WPA2, that is the most secure method right now. Put in your password and then you're done. That's the best I can explain it without having experience with that particular router.

5. wesk702 thread starter macrumors 68000

wesk702

I found the security tab but it only asks for a WEP, no WPA
    do I put in a pass there?

and thanks!

6. sleepingworker macrumors 6502a

sleepingworker

Opps! Sorry - didn't read close enough - thought you were having trouble with an airport.

7. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I just set up a new Netgear Rangemax N router....IP is 192.168.1.1, admin/password are the default logins.

Go to the Wireless Settings on the left side (I'm assuming our routers have the same menu setup)

I chose WEP from the available options (because we still have a laptop in the house that doesn't support the newer WPA)

Security Encryption: Automatic

Encryption Strength: 128bit

For the Security Encryption (WEP) key, you can just enter a phrase you'll remember, and when you hit Generate, it will create your wireless "key" that you need to enter into every computer that you want to have access to that wireless system.

Very easy to set up and secure against pretty much all of your neighbors, unless some of them are really determined hackers.

-Bryan

8. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Last I checked, the manual that comes with the Netgear stuff is only a Quick Setup guide. You have to look on the CDROM that came with it for the full owners manual. You can also get it from their website. In the full manual, it shows you how to connect to the admin page in your web browser for your router. I have mine bookmarked at home, so I can't rememeber the address. It's your IP address or something. That is where you enable WEP encryption, set up a wireless network name and secure yor network. It's dead easy. It's all about connecting to the router in your browser.