How do I see what my storage is used by?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cockneyjay, May 15, 2014.

1. cockneyjay macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I'm downloading a couple of things and I keep getting warnings that say I'm almost full in terms of storage. When I check it says that about 90% of it is taken up by "other"

I need to know what I can delete in order to free up some space because I have no idea how I've used up about 300GB worth of space. Is there a simple way of checking where I've used up all my storage. I have no idea what's on my mac that could that up THAT much memory.

I've tied grand perspective but it's found about 20 GB worth of usage in photos and videos and that's about all i can see.

Thanks,

Jay

2. NukeIT macrumors regular

Omni Disksweeper

http://www.omnigroup.com/more

----------

And if deleting things doesn't change the available GB value. Your HDD may be corrupt and so then would need to run Disk Utility

3. Nickwell24 macrumors regular

DaisyDisk is the program I use. A great visual representation of what's taking up your HD.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you happen to have Time Machine turned on? It can use up a lot of space with local snapshots.

Enter the command below in Terminal and post up the output so we can take a look. This command will show all base folders, including hidden folders, along with the size of each.

Code:
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

Yep - awesome free utility.

6. cockneyjay thread starter macrumors newbie

Omni Disk Sweep worked perfectly thank you all very much :)