Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LookId9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
What are the proper steps I must take?

So far I have...

1.) Wiped all data, and restored to fresh new firmware.
2.) Removed SIM card.

Anything else?

Peter-P

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Bournemouth, UK
Sell Your iPhone on eBay ...

Hi,

I've sold iPhone 3, 3GS, and an iPhone 4 on eBay and have been very well pleased with the results and the bidders with whom I have worked. I recommend you check the auctions for iPhones exactly similar to that which you propose to sell. Be absolutely honest about what you are selling, particularly the state and any scratches, or marks. You need to make it clear that you only accept bids from those with a feedback of at least 5. You can always attract more bids for an international auction, but be careful to which countries you are prepared to send your iPhone.

You need to take ACTUAL photographs of your iPhone and style your eBay description like those which have secured good bids.

As regards starting price, I tend to start with a low price to attract plenty of interest in your auction. Start your auction to end at about 9 or 10pm. I have found 1, or 3 day auctions work best as people are 'hungry' to receive their new acquisition! Wouldn't you? Finally, make sure that you send your iPhone by a secure form of carriage (and make you cost shipment accurately before your auction!) to reach your winning bidder by the time promised.

Last, and of great importance, make sure you have a PayPal account and that you have received FULL PAYMENT before parting with your valuable iPhone.

From my experience boxed iPhones in their original boxes, with good photos in excellent condition will realise VERY good prices.

Good luck ...

Last edited:

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Last, and of great importance, make sure you have a PayPal account and that you have received FULL PAYMENT before parting with your valuable iPhone.

Can't people just recall payment on paypal after you mail the phone? Seems like an easy way to scam

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
Can't people just recall payment on paypal after you mail the phone? Seems like an easy way to scam

Not if you take all the proper precautions. I even take photos of the iphones I've sold while I am packaging them, then I also insure the package. I think paypal is wise to what people are doing to scam us. So far, I have sold 3 iphones on ebay and have had nobody scam me yet. Of course I have blocked all oversees bids and several other ways to pre-block people. Just check your user account settings. Of course if you are a new seller and have 0 feedback, you won't get as much money out of it if you had say 60 positive feedback or so.

I actually sell some phones for friends for a small fee because I sell on ebay every once in a while, and have close to 100 feedback. They get more money for their phones that way.

LongbowFoSho

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2010
I've sold dozens of iPhones in the US and internationally with only a few issues, most of which were my own fault.

You'll have a few bums who don't pay or try to extort money out of you while threatening negative feedback, but they're pretty rare overall.

There are just as many losers on Craigslist as there are on eBay, so its a toss-up overall.

Good luck with the sale.

BriChi

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
here is how i got scammed using Ebay/paypal

1. sold a jailbroken for tmobile iPhone on ebay for $400, only 3 weeks old and in perfect condition
2. Buyer takes the buy it now and sends paypal money right away
3. Sent the iphone to user
4. when he received it he bitched it was scratched and not as promised and disputed it with paypal who awarded him the complaint and said to send the iphone back for full refund
5. he sent back the iphone which I had to pick up from UPS, I signed for it and threw it in my back seat and went to work, meanwhile he was given his money back right away and he pulled his money from Paypal into his account.
6. i open the box and find it's a broken $3 speaker thrown in there for weight purposes so now I am out the iphone and the money

I filed a police report and went through everything Paypal said to do and eventually Paypal gave me my money back, But it wasn't easy.

Be very careful!!!!

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
here is how i got scammed using Ebay/paypal

1. sold a jailbroken for tmobile iPhone on ebay for $400, only 3 weeks old and in perfect condition
2. Buyer takes the buy it now and sends paypal money right away
3. Sent the iphone to user
4. when he received it he bitched it was scratched and not as promised and disputed it with paypal who awarded him the complaint and said to send the iphone back for full refund
5. he sent back the iphone which I had to pick up from UPS, I signed for it and threw it in my back seat and went to work, meanwhile he was given his money back right away and he pulled his money from Paypal into his account.
6. i open the box and find it's a broken $3 speaker thrown in there for weight purposes so now I am out the iphone and the money

I filed a police report and went through everything Paypal said to do and eventually Paypal gave me my money back, But it wasn't easy.

Be very careful!!!!

That's nuts.

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
Speed, a good price, convenience & security matter most to me. I've sold countless phones & laptops to Gazelle. They pay especially well for that type of service & do so very reliably & fast.

Timing does make a difference in the price you receive. I sold my original iPad to them 6 weeks ago, I'm sure glad I did before the rumor mill heated up. I got much more than I would today.

http://www.gazelle.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.