How Do I Sell My MacBook With Programs But Delete User Information?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DjPLaTiNuM, Jul 16, 2012.

1. DjPLaTiNuM macrumors newbie

Hello,

I currently have a 2012 15" MacBook I'm selling with 16 GB RAM upgraded and I've been using it for about two weeks but it has programs on it I want to leave.

I've heard a couple different routes but I want to make sure if there's an easier way or faster way then reformatting and reinstalling everything.

Someone told me about a command + Q or something at boot up that will give me the option but I haven't tried it.

Any help would be great-thanks.

2. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    You can securely empty the trash by holding down the command key when you right click on the Trash in the dock or by choosing Secure Empty Trash from the Finder application menu.

If it were me though, I would take the time to back up what I needed, zero out the disk, and then restore the computer before selling it.

EDIT:
    Noticed you've only had it for two weeks, is that right? You may still be able to return it.

3. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I would erase the disk with multiple passes and then reinstall the OS. Otherwise, your information is going to be recoverable. You can just throw the install CDs in the box to let them install any software that you want to include in the deal.