Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surrealchereal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
I have an LG TV. When I plug in the mini port to the hdmi adapter and then into my tv, I get picture but no sound coming from the TV. How do I send both the audio and video from a movie I have on my mac book? OS X 10.9.1 13' mid 2009

brightjc@me.com

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
UK
AppleTV

Have you considered an AppleTV? They're only £99 / $99 and as well as wireless connection (through wifi) you get things like Netflix and you can easily rent/buy movies and TV shows directly from the device. You could maybe get a second hand one (buy the AppleTV 3 for 1080p) cheaper.

surrealchereal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
Is the port on your computer hdmi or dvi?
It's the mini hdmi and I have a converter. From what I understand the port only sends video and not audio. I think I need audio cables too but I'm not sure what kind.

I don't want Apple TV, I don't want to subscribe to a service, I want to watch things I have on my computer on my TV.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Optical audio cable from the audio out port to the TV audio input for the video input that you are using.
A simple stereo cable also works.

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
It's the mini hdmi and I have a converter. From what I understand the port only sends video and not audio. I think I need audio cables too but I'm not sure what kind.

I don't want Apple TV, I don't want to subscribe to a service, I want to watch things I have on my computer on my TV.

Apple TV requires no subscription. It does exactly what you are wanting to do, sans wires. It is exactly what you want, TBH.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
Apple TV requires no subscription. It does exactly what you are wanting to do, sans wires. It is exactly what you want, TBH.

My view on AppleTV...

For video sharing you can use iTunes library sharing, the Apple TV picks up computers on the network that have sharing enabled in iTunes preferences, it is how I share content from my NAS to my AppleTV using an iMac as the in-between. In fact I think my Synology NAS supports iTunes sharing without needing a computer on (untested).

Video streaming works very well, even fast forward happens without glitch and it resumes from where you left off.
I have heard that on newer mac's you can also use Airplay mirror -> Airplay icon (at top right of desktop) but this is with later models from 2010 I think, I can only send audio from my old 2007 iMac (Preferences -> Audio -> AppleTV Speakers) to my AppleTV3 when using AirPlay.

As for other things the AppleTV does which a cable doesn't is

Optional Wireless
Supports HDMI video with Audio and optical if you have a HI-Fi
Has a few free apps on it like News channels, YouTube, weather, trailers and some others (changes based on your country of residence).

I can use AirPlay on my iPhone and iPad to instantly send the screen/audio to the AppleTV, so can friends if they pop over. This is neat for things like Spotify so you can share the music around all wirelessly.

It doesn't re-route your Mac video/audio unless you want it too (no unplugging of cables all the time)

Anim

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
McGiord is right. One easy way to pass along the analog audio is to get a miniplug stereo --> RCA female adapter, and then grab any old RCA-RCA stereo pair and run it to your TV. Or you could look around for a miniplug with a long (as long as you need) cable terminated in RCA males.

Optical is fine but why make it complicated? If you're going to play the sound from your TV then analog will be enough.

I don't know why everybody's pushing Apple TV. The answer to your question doesn't involve ATV. You asked a simple question and you deserve a simple answer.

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
McGiord is right. One easy way to pass along the analog audio is to get a miniplug stereo --> RCA female adapter, and then grab any old RCA-RCA stereo pair and run it to your TV. Or you could look around for a miniplug with a long (as long as you need) cable terminated in RCA males.

Optical is fine but why make it complicated? If you're going to play the sound from your TV then analog will be enough.

I don't know why everybody's pushing Apple TV. The answer to your question doesn't involve ATV. You asked a simple question and you deserve a simple answer.

Sure, run wires everywhere, and have your mbp's mobile video card drive your 65 inch 1080p television for hours on end.....Sounds swell

surrealchereal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013

What would that audio cable look like? Could you link me to a picture of one on a site?
Thanks for your help. I don't care if there's a cable running somewhere, I'll deal with that instead of spending a 100 bucks on the "free" Apple TV-

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
What would that audio cable look like? Could you link me to a picture of one on a site?

Here's one that's going to set you back $0.46, plus shipping.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042902&p_id=7224&seq=1&format=2

Here's a cable (and you can get it in various lengths):

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021817&p_id=9768&seq=1&format=2

No doubt Amazon Basics has similar cables. Monoprice is a reputable outfit, and very inexpensive.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK

Because the title of this post is "How do I send video from my mac to the TV?"

AppleTV is one way to "send" videos, that is all. If the OP doesn't want AppleTV then cool, its no big deal and I'm sure using HDMI + Audio cables is a cheaper path. A lot of Mac Mini users do this too.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Sure, run wires everywhere, and have your mbp's mobile video card drive your 65 inch 1080p television for hours on end.....Sounds swell

I didn't notice that he described his TV, and I also failed to notice for how long he wanted to watch it.

But maybe you saw something I didn't.

I did notice this: "I want to watch things I have on my computer on my TV."

McGiord and I have told him how he can do that with very little expense.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
I have an LG TV. When I plug in the mini port to the hdmi adapter and then into my tv, I get picture but no sound coming from the TV. How do I send both the audio and video from a movie I have on my mac book? OS X 10.9.1 13' mid 2009

Make sure your audio output is set to HDMI.

Goto:
System Preferences>Sound>output (at least that is the path in SL)
Is HDMI an option? It would only show if you currently are using HDMI.

This link has other info on HDMI audio on a mac. I found it by googling "HDMI audio mac"
http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/04/use-hdmi-audio-output-mac-os-x/

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Because the title of this post is "How do I send video from my mac to the TV?"

AppleTV is one way to "send" videos, that is all. If the OP doesn't want AppleTV then cool, its no big deal and I'm sure using HDMI + Audio cables is a cheaper path. A lot of Mac Mini users do this too.

In his initial post it was completely clear that he had already set up a wired connection, had the picture, and simply wanted to know how to get the audio working.

surrealchereal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
Here's one that's going to set you back $0.46, plus shipping.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042902&p_id=7224&seq=1&format=2

Here's a cable (and you can get it in various lengths):

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021817&p_id=9768&seq=1&format=2

No doubt Amazon Basics has similar cables. Monoprice is a reputable outfit, and very inexpensive.
Thanks monokakata! I needed a visual and I've got it. Yes, I love the price too :D
I see the cables say they're for a mobile device, but they'll fit my Macbook Pro?

Make sure your audio output is set to HDMI.

Goto:
System Preferences>Sound>output (at least that is the path in SL)
Is HDMI an option? It would only show if you currently are using HDMI.

This link has other info on HDMI audio on a mac. I found it by googling "HDMI audio mac"
http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/04/use-h...tput-mac-os-x/
Thanks WSR, I'm sure you've given me the info I need in case I have anymore problems getting it set up.

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
I didn't notice that he described his TV, and I also failed to notice for how long he wanted to watch it.

But maybe you saw something I didn't.

I did notice this: "I want to watch things I have on my computer on my TV."

McGiord and I have told him how he can do that with very little expense.

And others have told him how to do it the right way....so what's the difference. He may not want to use an Apple TV...but someone else searching for "how to send video from my mac to my TV" might want more options than just cables. They also might be interested in knowing the truth about the ATv, which is that it is NOT a subscription service. These threads are up for public search.

surrealchereal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
This all irrelevant . That HDMI cable should send video and audio. It's an industry standard.

Check you audio output settings.
The ones on my Mac right?

(sorry, I have an extensive pc history, this is all new to me)

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
option + volume up opens sound preferences. Make sure HDMI is selected as the audio output. You will have to have the HDMI cable plugged in for it to be an option in audio out, though.

Nov 28, 2010
located

Since this is a 2009 MacBook Pro, it does not support AUDIO-OUT via Mini DisplayPort.

Would it matter if it were a 15" TV with 1920 x 1080 pixel? The actual size of the pixel does not matter, it is the number of pixels, and a 9400M is okay with driving less than 2,1 million pixels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.