How do I service my Epson Printer from Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davidg4781, Mar 17, 2014.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

I bought an Epson XP-600 a few months ago. I don't use it much but thought it'd be nice to have a printer/scanner around for those times that I do use it.

Recently I printed something and it looked like the nozzles or heads needed cleaning or adjusting.

I've got that fixed now but I had to do it from the printer. I could not find anything in the software installed on my MBP that sent these commands. Does anyone know where to go to do this?

I'm running a clean install of OS X Mavericks and the printer is connected wirelessly through my gateway/modem/router.

On Epson's site there are a few other downloads if I select I have Mountain Lion. Maybe this feature isn't ready for Mavericks?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Go to System Preferences --> Print & Scan --> Select Printer and hit "Options and Supplies" --> Utility Tab --> Open Printer Utility

I have a Canon MG5220 and that is what I use. I am using the default software downloaded from Apple Software Update.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68010

I don't have a Utility Tab. I'm almost certain it was there with an older HP I had... that was broken.

There's an option to go to the printer's webpage but there's not option for this there either.

When I did the cleaning/aligning it printed out a sheet and I had to choose which boxes/lines looked best using the printer's display. I remember my old HP did it automatically. Maybe this is why it's not available from anything away from the printer?

Attached Files:

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Is this printer using the default driver from Apple or AirPrint?

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

According to the support page for your printer:
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...oid=201987&prodoid=63094860&category=Products
    On that page, click on the troubleshooting guide.
    You found out how to do that from the on-printer panel, which is what Epson uses, too.

6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68010

I installed it fully from my Mac. Never went to epson.com or used the included disc.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That printer supports AirPrint. Since AirPrint is proprietary technology but is a generic driver, you will not get some utility functions. Ensure your printer is using the Apple supplied drivers and not AirPrint.

8. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68010

Awesome! That did it. I never thought that it would install it using AirPrint.

Thanks!

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Click 'show printers webpage' it has everything you need in there.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No problem! AirPrint is great for its seemless install and generic Apple compatibility. It lacks device specific features and configuration though.