How do I set my dock to default settings?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by grosslyclever, Dec 14, 2009.

1. grosslyclever macrumors member

Hi!

I want to set my dock to default settings

Basically, I want my dock to look exactly like it did when I first turned on my mac for the very first time.

I want all the items I added to the dock gone, and all the default ones I removed back in the dock.

I know I can do it manually, but I want to know if there's a way to do it via terminal or something like that.

Thanks!
    - GrosslyClever

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I doubt it. You can get the settings back by deleting the com.apple.dock.plist file, but I doubt if even Terminal will help your Mac to remember the icons you poofed, or the new ones you dragged onto your Dock.

To get back to the original icons, take a screen shot of a new Mac at a retail store and get permission to put it on a flash drive. Nah! Not a good idea. It could have been changed. Here's what you do: Case the joint, and follow someone who just bought a new Mac out of the store. Approach the person politely, "Excuse me, you don't know if I'm a psycho or not, but can I ask you..."

Ok, do you know anyone who's planning to buy a new Mac?

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Actually, the Dock's plist file is not only used to remember your preferences, but also which icons and stacks you have in your Dock. So just trashcan it (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Dock.plist), and EVERYTHING goes back to the defaults.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

And then log out or run this command in the terminal
    Code:
    killall Dock
    to relaunch the dock for the effects to kick in.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Assuming that's correct (and I have no reason to doubt you) that's pretty impressive that the plist file can keep track of things I drag off of the Dock, or drag onto it. To the OP: please post your results after trashing the dock.plist file.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is correct. You can test it yourself quite simply. Open a Finder window and navigate to the .plist file, but don't open it. Make note of the "Date Modified". Now drag something off the Dock and wait a second or two. The .plist will change, updating the "Date Modified". It's not really impressive.... it's just a computer.

7. grosslyclever thread starter macrumors member

Deleting the .plist file worked perfectly. I just deleted the file, killed the dock and the dock went back to its original settings and icons.

So, whoever is looking for what I wanted to do...It works, risk free.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad it worked out for you. FYI, this exact solution is in the thread I referred you to early in this thread. You'll find lots of solutions by searching this forum.