How do I set my wifi password on Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heather8810, Feb 16, 2014.

1. heather8810 macrumors newbie

I set my wifi password like 2-3 years ago and all of a sudden, password wasn't set and everyone was using my wifi.
    I tried to set my password again.
    But, when i typed my password, it's different than I remember.
    Is there any other way to set password?

2. simsaladimbamba

What exact wireless router do you have or do you use Internet Sharing and share a wired or modem connection via WiFi with your Mac as WiFi router?

I guess this problem of yours does not involve a Mac Pro?

3. heather8810 thread starter macrumors newbie

Using Linksys. I do have modem in my living room.

4. simsaladimbamba

Then consult the manual of that router or look on the router/modem to learn the IP address you can use to connect the settings. A wired connection might be needed.

5. SomeoneOrOther macrumors newbie

Hi Heather,

Mac or PC, changing your wireless password is done through the router, via your browser.

If you have the original booklet that came with your Linksys, instructions should be in there. But I'm guessing 2-3years later, that booklet may have gone *poof*! :)

So for Linksys, type into the address part of your browser (Firefox or Safari) 192.168.1.1

That "should" bring up a prompt to enter login and password. Type "admin" for both. (That's the default login and password for most routers.)

If successful, then you've now entered the router's configuration options. You'll need to look for the Wireless Network options (or something similar) to locate the wireless password option.

Good luck!

6. heather8810 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried logging in with admin for both username and password, but it doesn't work.. And yeah i don't have the booklet :(

----------

Do I just connect the wire to my computer ?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Look on the back of the router for a small recessed red reset button. Hold that button in for ten seconds to do a factory reset. Now join the default linksys wifi network (no password will be needed) then try the steps SomeoneOrOther gave you to login to the router and setup a new wireless network name and password.

8. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

...... and change the admin password !

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... thanks for the backstop. :)

10. David T. macrumors member

Great advice! I might add... and write all user id's and passwords down and put them in a safe place where you can find them. All mine are in a document on a password protected flash drive. Of course, remembering the password for the flash drive is pretty important. :D

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

For the default username/password look at the site RouterPasswords.com and choose the manufacture you have.

On an OS X machine just open System Preferences->Network tab,Advanced button, TCP/Ip mini-tab. Then just the router IP into your favorite browser and try the default username/password, if you never been in the router or just reset it.