Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JWiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Hey everyone,

I just got my new iMac 20" last week and iWork '08 with it. I just wanted to know how to set Pages as the default for opening all .docx (MS Word 2007) and .doc (MS Word 2003) files. At the moment TextEdit is the default and whilst I can change the default for individual files, I haven't figured out how to set it for every file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
In finder find a .doc (or.docx) file
Highlight File, Right Click, Get Info (or press Apple+I)
Open With, Pages
Press Change All

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
So easy on a Mac isnt' it?

On Windows you'd have to open an explorer Window, Press tools, Then Folder Options, then the File Types Tab, then you have to scroll through a long list of file types and find the one you want, then you have to select the program you want to open that file type with...and it may not even work when it's all said and done if InDesign has anything to say about it!

One more simple reason why I love OS X.

soccersquirt82

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2008
If you want to do that with all documents and not right click every new or downloaded document, download Default Apps to say all .doc (or whatever other file) open with Pages (or whatever other app).

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
In finder find a .doc (or.docx) file
Highlight File, Right Click, Get Info (or press Apple+I)
Open With, Pages
Press Change All

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to thank you for this. I've been trying to figure this out for ages. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.