How do I set up a direct download from my computer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jagurandi, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Jagurandi macrumors newbie

I'm running 10.6, and I would like to make my computer such that a friend (not on my local network) can directly download a large file from my computer.

I would like to set this up in such a way that my friend will only be able to access a single directory (the Shared folder, for instance).

Essentially, I want her to be able to download a file from my computer without giving her access to anything else, and without having to give out any sensitive information. I attempted to search, but as I'm not facile with the terminology, I didn't find an answer.

Thanks

2. Jagurandi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the link. However, the file I am attempting to transfer is around 4.6GB, and I'd rather not pay a fee to transfer a single file.

I was under the impression that what I suggest could be done using nothing more than OS X itself... is that mistaken?

3. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Well, the easiest solution would be to send it to her via Ichat.

But you can set up file sharing to and have her connect to your computer
    (system pref->sharing)
    However, this method is only really viable if you have a static IP address since you're not on the same network.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You hadn't mentioned the file size in your first post. You can use a remote desktop app, such as TeamViewer to connect and transfer one file.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the OP's post:

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

If it's just this one file at the moment, I second iChat.

You can send the file directly over to your friend. I sent a 900MB zip file over iChat just a couple months ago - it worked fine.

If you want your friend to have permanent access to a shared folder, you should use DropBox if all your other files aren't huge.

7. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

8. Jagurandi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the advice. I hear all of the recommendations for iChat, but I wonder if there is another way.

I didn't suggest this before, as I thought it might be too far afield, but I'll try it now. My friend is running Windows (probably Vista). Is there anything simple that she can do from her end (without using third party software) to make her computer accessible from mine (such that I can directly upload the file to her computer)?

Again, thanks for all of the help.

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Depending on network speeds...it may be faster to burn the file to DVD/drop it on a USB thumb-drive and ship it overnight FedEx :D:D

10. madwolf macrumors member

You can run a FTP server or HTTP server on your mac

If you run a http server you just place the file in the appropriate folder and then your friend downloads the file by entering into her www browser: http://your-ip/filename.zip

Of course that will be only one way access. If you want her to be able to send files to your computer then I think ftp server is the way to go. If you have dynamic ip (which often changes, like most adsl connections in my country) then you can use a dynamic dns service.

11. steerpikegg macrumors member

Why not give her an ssh login and use scp - easiest by far although if you are behind a router/firewall you will need to set up a port forward most likely.