How do I set up a mail account?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Soundie, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Soundie macrumors regular

Soundie

I was wondering if any of you guys could help me to set up a e-mail account in Mac OS: Mail
    [​IMG]
    I´ve tried several times but I can´t seem to figure it out. Do I need a new e-mail address or can I use my old one from mail.com? I wouldn´t mind a new one because Im only using it as a sort of business account. All help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks!

Sondre

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I haven't had any experience with Mail.com but from reading their pages it seems you need a premium account to use an "offline account". There is advice on how to set it up in their help pages. Don't think I can directly link to it but sign in and go to "Help" then select the "POP/SMTP" option under "mail.com Premium Services" heading. Pretty good step by step instructions, although for an older version of mail should lead you through it.

If you don't have a premium account then I think you can't do it with mail.com. Another option is to use gmail which you can use with Mail.app, there are detailed instructions for POP and IMAP.

Most major providers offer guides and the option to use an external mail client so if you don't like gmail then there will be other options out there.

3. Soundie thread starter macrumors regular

Soundie

Cheers mate! I will try to set up a gmail account then :)

4. Soundie thread starter macrumors regular

Soundie

It worked and I managed to link my mail.com account up to the gmail account as well. Thank you! :)

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Good glad you got it sorted :)