Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItalianDadx2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2010
OK, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. This is my first post so please be patient. Anyhow, this is what I want to do I just need advice on what is the best way to do it. I have a 3.06 Intel iMac, and 2 PC's, one running Vista, and the other Windows 7. I would like to be able to have one place (I'm thinking a network drive) where I can access all my music, videos, and pictures. I also have an xbox 360 that I would like to be able to access the media also, and in the future a TV, or any other device I may choose. I also would like to store the music in a lossless fashion (highest quality). Again, I'm sure there is way to do this just not sure how. Thanks in advance for any help.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Unfortunately there isnt a quick, one step way of doing this in a way that will stream to EVERYTHING, setting up the server to work for different kinds of devices would really need to be done separately, dont let that scare you though its really quite easy.

Your first best bet would be setting up an iTunes library. use it to copy and organise all of your music. In the preferences it can be set so it will "share" your library with all the other PCs that use iTunes on your home network.

If you want to stream media to an xbox 360 you could try installing the following software:

http://www.nullriver.com/products/connect360

It will stream any itunes library or folders full of pictures or videos you want. i use similar software with my PS3 and its great.

To share pictures and videos to PCs you may be better off setting up a shared folder on your Mac, then mount the share as a network drive on your PCs.

You may need to google the specifics on this if you arn't too IT saavy but this stuff really isnt as difficult as it sounds, just experiment, see what works best for you and have some fun doing it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.