How do I set up a online store?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by callmemike20, Jul 13, 2011.

1. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I want to sell a service online. I already own my basic domain and have hosting for it through godaddy.

I want to sell a service through my website. However, I don't want people to be redirected to a third party website in order to pay for their service. How do I go about doing this?

It is really only 1 service and no "cart" is really required. It will just be 1 form that they have to fill out and 1 flat price.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Perspective. You are a startup with zero reputation. I would not even consider clicking a payment link that was not Paypal when dealing with that kind of retailer.

3. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Very good point. I just think having a paypal logo on your website would look unprofessional.

4. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

Paypal does billions of dollars worth of transactions. I don't think most people consider it unprofessional. They trust it.

5. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

Unprofessional? Just off the top of head: Netflix, Microsoft Xbox Live, Sony PSN, web hosting companies, NewEgg, DropBox, all offer PayPal payments and subscriptions and most display the logo on their pages somewhere.

As mentioned above, people trust PayPal over an unknown retailer. Who would want to give their credit card info to an unknown?

6. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

You don't only have to worry about customer perception -- there are also some nasty legal bits of red tape you need to deal with if you're touching a customer's credit card data.

Don't do it. Use a payment gateway. If you don't want it to look like a Paypal site, use the Paypal Pro service and brand it until your heart's content :)

7. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I just saw the Pro service and it seems to be exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.

8. digitalField macrumors regular