How do I set up a Power Mac G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by richjane, Nov 24, 2013.

1. richjane, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

richjane macrumors newbie

I am very new on this forum just registered a few minutes ago.

I was given a Power Mac G-4 (silver something or other) computer about 12 years old and it works but I am unable to connect to internet.

It is using IE 5.1 with less than one gig of ram.

I am very new to the Apple or mac computer so I do not know how to navigate in this computer to set up internet protocol or set up a new connection to my home network... need someone to walk me thru this thing.

"How do I set up a Power Mac G4?",

Is there a manual on line I can use to learn how to use this old computer.
    I am very good on PC and have been using one since 1995. Thanks for any help.

Forum mediator: Where do I find the replies on this forum?

2. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Welcome! Congratulations on the new to you Mac!

We can help more once we know exactly what you have. While on the main desktop screen of your Mac click on the :apple: button in the top left, then "About this Mac". It will tell you what you have, and what version of Mac OS X you are running.

Are you trying to connect to the internet over wifi or are you plugged in over ethernet?

3. Barnz63 macrumors newbie

Barnz63

It sounds like you may have Mac OS 9 as an operating system, if you are using IE 5. If that is the case, go to this Apple link, it may help you troubleshoot network problems.

I use the Clasilla web browser on my OS 9 Macs. I found IE 5 to be very crash happy on the Mac.

If your Mac is around 12 years old, you may have a Quicksilver. It will run OS X (10.4, or 10.5 if your processor is 867 mhz or faster) if you want to upgrade the operating system and use newer software.

If you click the apple symbol in the upper left of the screen, you will find a lot of tools for your Mac, most of them under "Control Panels".

"Apple System Profiler" will get you info about your PowerMac G4.

4. richjane thread starter macrumors newbie

power Mac g-4

Thanks tampasteve,
    here is the about this mac info:
    Mac OS X
    Ver: 10.1.3
    Mem: 768 MB
    Processor: PowerPC G4
    1983-2001

I am hooked up to my home network via a PlugLink plugged into an outlet with Ethernet cable attached going to Mac.

How do I check processor info??? Really need someone to walk me thru this new stuff.

Working on a mac is like Greek to me....
    can we hook up via cell or Skype to see if I can get this mac working properly and get on internet???

5. richjane thread starter macrumors newbie

power mac g4

hello Barnz63,

No I am using OS X 10.1.3
    yes it is a Quicksilver, I just found out.
    not sure what my processor MHZ is.

6. RedCroissant Suspended

I'm using the same ethernet set up, and I find it to be very good!

To check CPU info; click on Apple logo top left corner of the creen in the menu bar. Click on "About this Mac." Once the dialog box comes up, You'll see: the CPU info, the amount of Memory, and the Startup Disk. Click on the " More info" button and that will open System Profiler to give you the info for eveyrthing installed in the PowerMac.