How do I set up VNC so I can access my computer remotely?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stoopkitty, Jan 23, 2011.

1. stoopkitty macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have Mac os 10.6 snow leopard. And an intel Mac, and an airport extreme base station (time capsule). Ive searched all over google, but all of them show you how to set up a vnc server that you can only access if connected to your network, I want to be able to access it from anywhere.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I prefer using TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use.

3. sim667, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011

sim667 macrumors 65816

I use the screen sharing option on my mac for the VNC server.

Then you can port forward the correct port on your router to the ip that you've got. For the vnc client you would need to request the connection to your routers public ip address.

I wasnt happy with the secuirty of that, (the open port would show up on port scans of my public ip if i didnt have stealth mode on my routers firewall). So i've started a VPN server on my router, I connect to the VPN server and only then can i connect to VNC. Because im in the UK generally speaking we dont have static public IP address, so I signed up for a dyn-dns account which my router then updates with a new IP as and when its needed to.

To do the latter part of what I've done DNS and VPN wise most standard router firmware doesnt support that. I use a 3rd party firmware called DDWRT. But i think the DNS is certainly updatable using a background application on the mac itself.

To save power I have my mac set to wake on lan, so whenever my mac gets a connection request it wakes up.... rather than it just being on all the time.

I was thinking about how to write a guide to do this, as an added bonus of my setup is you get your own free VPN for using public wifi

If there's enough interest I'll do it.

4. GLOC macrumors member

Yes please, as what you wrote above sounds like gobbledygook!!

Thanks

5. Ripmax2000 macrumors regular