How do i set up with CCC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Daniel97, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

I have backed up my old MBP and now sold it.

I have both a time machine and a carbon clone backup.

How do i now set up my new MBA with it?

I want the air to be identical to how the MBP was.

Can anybody help me?

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Fire up your new machine and let the migration assistant dot the copying. I don't think it matters which of the two backups you use to copy from, the assistant will copy your old settings as much as possible. I don't think it's a good idea to clone your CCC disk to your new air.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

A clone from an older MBP will almost certainly not work on a new MBA. New MBAs ship with custom version of Lion, and you can't install anything prior to that. New drivers are required for Thunderbolt and the GPU.

4. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Okay,

So all my folders, apps, music, pictures lalalala copy with migration assistant?

Don't use the CCC?!

5. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I guess you can use the CCC clone as long as you do it with the migration assistant. Be sure to migrate only the bootable clone without archives.
    If you copy the clone to your new mac with CCC there will be files missing that are vital for the newer machine.

6. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Okay I'll use TM ..

If I use time machine will it be sure to be identical?

7. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Don't use time machine, use migration assistant.

8. Damo01 macrumors regular

Your Time Machine's backup and your CCC's backup should be identically the same as a source from where you backed it up from unless of course you have excluded files.

use migration assistant to transfer one of your backup copies either TM or CCC.

9. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay so what turn the new mac on and select don't copy data?

Then when it gets to the desktop choose migration assistant in the utilities?

10. Hansr macrumors 6502a

No just say copy data, it will use migration assistant without logging in as a user.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Okay,
    So all my folders, apps, music, pictures lalalala copy with migration assistant?"

Yes, that should work well.

You don't need to use CCC to "reverse clone", because migration assistant will do its thing and "pull" all the relevant files from your cloned copy, leaving behind that which isn't needed.

Once you're all set up with the new MBA, you can _again_ use CCC to create a bootable clone from your _new_ setup.