how do i setup itunes sync right?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jcrew30002, Jul 13, 2009.

1. jcrew30002 macrumors newbie

when i sync some music or videos to my iphone it works perfectly, but when i go to sync more movies or music to my iphone it erases music and movies that were previously on it and i have to re-synce the old music back to it. IMO itunes interface is a bit confusing, instead of a drag and drop interface it ask you if you want sync 90s music or recently added... whats with all those extra options.. i want to just drop and drag a song to a folder on the iphone:p, a drag and drop interface would have been much better and familiar

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

To use drag'n'drop just turn on Manual Sync. in your iPod options under Music.

3. jcrew30002 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i just synced a few more songs and i have about 70 songs and videos ( 11 GB ) on my iphone. Itunes is very confusing! :mad: let me explain: in itunes on the "music" tab i checked "sync music> All songs and playlist" ( because im under the impresion that anything that is not checked on itunes gets deleted off of the ihpone ) so all the music that i have on my iphone i make sure is checked in itunes so that itunes will not erase it off the phone for not being checked. so i hit sync to add some videos and what do ya know.. itunes deleted all of my music.... but i had it checked to sync all music!! what is going on? now i have all my videos but now i have to re-sync my music ( moving around 11GB is not quick ) im affraid to touch it because if i keep all my videos checked in itunes will it delete my videos and leave me with the music?? i thought windows products were buggy... apple is a close second with this circus:apple:

4. OhNo789 macrumors newbie

If you do like the user two posts above me said, everything will be fine, and you'll get the drag and drop interface that you're looking for. You'll be easily able to take playlists, movies and straight up songs and drag and drop them onto the ipod. You'll also be able to drag things off if you don't want them any more. Simply click on the iphone in itunes, and under Summary tab you'll see a check box that says "manually update music".

As for auto-sync (which it seems that you don't like much in any case) make sure that you go under the video tab, check Sync Movies, and underneath, check all movies. Do the same for music. This way you will not have to check the boxes beside each and every movie in the preferences. Do the same under Music. I understand that you did this before, but make sure that you click on apply in the bottom right hand part of the window.

Also, If you'd like to turn auto-sync off when you plug your iphone in again, hold down command and option, and continue to hold it until the iphone pops up in itunes. This will only turn it off for this instance, so you'll still have to go into the preferences and change the settings.

I hope that this clears things up for you.