How do I setup my AirPort Extreme 802.11g Base Station?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AppleThis&That, Jul 18, 2009.

1. AppleThis&That macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

I just got this from a friend and need some help.

I have two iMacs, one main one next to the internet connection and the other across the room. I also have a printer.

OK. So how do I set this up? Which wires go where? I'd like my main computer to get the best results for internet. Can I still have direct cable access to the wall with this computer and have wireless for the other computer across the room?

I must sound dumb but this is new to me. Does anyone have a good setup guide for this situation?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah man, you would normally connect your iMac that's close to your router using Gigabit for the fastest performance. Then all the other machines that are far from the router can hit it via WIFI.

The hook up is real simple: power, WAN line, Gigabit lines, and printer USB if the printer is close to the router.

3. AppleThis&That thread starter macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

Sorry, but what's Gigabit?

Edit: Oh, I think I understand now. Never mind.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

If your Extreme is only 802.11g, it's shaped somewhat like a UFO then, no?

If so, it only has two network ports ... one for the Internet (called WAN), and one for your local network (called LAN). They have weird icons next to them.

Assuming you have a DSL or cable modem for your Internet, there should be a network cable that comes out of it. That cable goes into the WAN port.

If you want the best performance from the iMac by it, use another network cable and plug the iMac into the LAN port.

Your other iMac can use WiFi to connect.

You configure the Extreme using a program on your Mac called "Airport Utility". It should be in your Applications > Utility folder.

If you go over to http://support.apple.com and type in "airport setup", there should be some PDFs showing how to set everything up.

5. AppleThis&That thread starter macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

Thanks man. This is everything I need to know. Easy. Thanks again guys for your help. :)

6. AppleThis&That thread starter macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

Help!

OK. So I bought an AirPort card from Ebay for a good price. Opened the computer and installed the hardware.

Now what do I do? I go into AirPort Setup Assistant and it says "No card found". What am I missing here?

7. AppleThis&That thread starter macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

Never mind. Fixed it. Reads the AirPort card. The card wasn't pushed in all the way. :rolleyes: