How do I setup Synergy to make my Mac the server?

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
I'm trying to get Synergy ( http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ ) to work on my Mac and Windows computers.

I want to make the Mac the server, and the Windows the client.
I already have the two computers connected and on a network, so they can see each other.

Does anyone have any simple instructions on how I can do this? Trust me, I have read help pages about this for hours, and still haven't gotten it working yet. If you've tried doing this, I'm sure you know that this isn't an easy thing to get going.

I have found this, and it is semi-helpful: http://www.lifehacker.com/software/productivity/how-to-turn-your-dualmonitor-pc-into-a-dual-macpc-system-106123.php but it only makes the Windows the server. I want to make my Mac the server.

Anyways, thanks in advance! :)

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Gary King said:
I'm trying to get Synergy ( http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ ) to work on my Mac and Windows computers.

I want to make the Mac the server, and the Windows the client.
I already have the two computers connected and on a network, so they can see each other.

Does anyone have any simple instructions on how I can do this? Trust me, I have read help pages about this for hours, and still haven't gotten it working yet. If you've tried doing this, I'm sure you know that this isn't an easy thing to get going.

I have found this, and it is semi-helpful: http://www.lifehacker.com/software/productivity/how-to-turn-your-dualmonitor-pc-into-a-dual-macpc-system-106123.php but it only makes the Windows the server. I want to make my Mac the server.

Anyways, thanks in advance! :)
section: screens
hostname1:
hostname2:
end

section: links
hostname1:
right = hostname2
hostname2:
left = hostname1
end

save as synergy.conf

run ./synergys -f --config synergy.conf on your mac... then setup the windows client.. they should connect.

i had to use ip addresses for mine due to the mac having some screwed up idea of hostnames.

EDIT: updated the run command... i typed it wrong. oops.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
DXoverDY said:
hostname1:
hostname2:
end

hostname1:
right = hostname2
hostname2:
left = hostname1
end

save as synergy.conf

run ./synergys -f --config synergy.conf on your mac... then setup the windows client.. they should connect.

i had to use ip addresses for mine due to the mac having some screwed up idea of hostnames.

I've tried running the synergys command in the past.

This is the error I get whenever I try:

Code:
garyking:~/Desktop/synergy-1.2.2 garyking$ ./synergys -f --config synergy.conf
INFO: synergys.cpp,857: Synergy server 1.2.2 on Darwin 7.9.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30 20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh
DEBUG: synergys.cpp,866: opening configuration "synergy.conf"
ERROR: synergys.cpp,883: cannot read configuration "synergy.conf": read error: unexpected data after section name
synergys: no configuration available
garyking:~/Desktop/synergy-1.2.2 garyking$
My synergy.conf:

Code:
       127.0.0.1:
       192.168.2.2:
    end
       127.0.0.1:
           right = 192.168.2.2
       192.168.2.2:
           left = 127.0.0.1
    end

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
that's kinda weird... open your config file up in an editor that allows ascii only.. copy the text.. delete the file... create another one and paste your config back in and save. maybe it's just struggling to read it or the permissions are messed up.. rename it something else and try again? make sure it's in the same directory as your executable file...

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
DXoverDY said:
that's kinda weird... open your config file up in an editor that allows ascii only.. copy the text.. delete the file... create another one and paste your config back in and save. maybe it's just struggling to read it or the permissions are messed up.. rename it something else and try again? make sure it's in the same directory as your executable file...
Can you please suggest a text editor? :) I was using TextEdit, but apparently it only saves in RTF format.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
DXoverDY said:
was it the text editor you were using? just curious really, i always like to know the answers to what fixed something.
Text Editor, yep. I ended up using Text Wrangler.

killjanuary

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2007
thanks very much!!!! you do me a big favor. I was wasting an hour on :mad:
Code:
synergy -f --config synergy.conf

hostname1:
hostname2:
end

hostname1:
right = hostname2
hostname2:
left = hostname1
end

save as synergy.conf