How do I setup this darn WD HD TV? :(

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doju, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Have you guys seen or had those Western Digital HD media players? Plug a usb drive in and play the stuff to your HDTV?

I have a 46" Sony Bravia HDTV and I recently bought this media player. After seeing it didn't have an HDMI cord, I went and bought a male-to-male HDMI cord at a local store.

So I then plugged the power cord into the WD TV, the HDMI cord in and then to my TV then the USB drive.

Nothing.

YouTube videos seem to show the media player just take over the screen at this point. No such luck for me. It doesn't even show any HDMI connections?

Could someone explain how to set this thing up?

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Hmm. It should just work. Might be worth power cycling it again with the HDMI cable attached.

If that doesn't work try using the composite cable and make reconfigure the HDMI.

3. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Argh, this is infuriating.

I have no idea what power-cycling it is, but I plugged it in via composite and it came out all fuzzy and grey.

It doesn't read the storage device either for god's sake. Do I have to format it somehow?

This device that was supposed to be a two-step process is a nightmare. Bravo Western Digital.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Power cycling. Unplug it, leave it a few seconds then plug it back in again.

It'll read most common disk formats, but not HFS+ journalled.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I sure hope you didn't pay too much...

6. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Why not?

Anyway, I think I did something. I could barely see it (incredibly snowy/grey/fuzzy) but I went to settings finally and changed it from PAL to like NTSC or something. That made it work, but it was evidently in standard definition.

I hit "Input" on my remote to show all available inputs, and it showed zero of my 3 HDMI ports on my TV in use. Is the HDMI cord faulty or something? Male to male is what I want, right?

I just bought the cord, took it out of packaging and plugged it into the back of my HDTV then into the media player. It's a cord, there's nothing more to it, is there?

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Um, so I don't mean to be a smart ass or anything, but have you read the directions? There might be a troubleshooting guide in the back to help you out.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Depending on what store and cable brand (this means you, Monster), you might be getting slightly to completely sodomized. There's no need to pay more than $20 for a 6' cable. As long as it's certified, it'll work just fine.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There's no need to pay more than $4.09. All I've ever used is Monoprice HDMI cables and they work great. That same cable with a Monster logo is probably close to $100 at Best Buy.

11. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Monoprice is incredible.

After I bought my first HDMI cable, I found out about them, and began to cry. At least I bought a $30 cable the first time, and not the Best Buy special at $90+

I also got a mini-displayport to DVI converter there. Dual 24" displays on a Mini. Mmm...

Their LAN cable pricing is nice too. So far, I've been extremely happy. I learned about them here at MacRumors, and haven't looked back.

12. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

TUrns out it needs to be pushed in really hard into the WD TV (the HDMI cord, that is). After finding that out by accident, it's now taped into it.