How do I setup Time Machine to backup to a remote Windows machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by InternetDude08, Dec 30, 2009.

1. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

OK, so here's the deal. I just got my new iMac 21.5, works great. I'm a Mac newbie.

I have a remote Windows machine I'd like to use as a network drive. I also have a NAS (Netgear SC101T) which I basically don't use anymore, thus I'll use the PC. I have two wireless routers so that function is of no value to me. So IMHO I don't need a Time Capsule.

I'd like to configure Time Machine to use the Windows networked drive as the "Time Capsule". Is this possible? If so, how do I do that? And how does that impact the Restore functionality if I'm not using the $300+ Time Capsule? Will it still restore a dead machine if it comes down to it?

2. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

okay, i don't remember exactly the line code, (maybe a Unix type person can help me out with the code)...but if you can go to windows and share the drive you can mount that network drive(might have to turn on some Network option in control panel) and then designate that drive as your TIme Machine drive....I've never tried this, but I'm assuming two things.

a. You can actually MOUNT a network drive rather then connect to it using the \\shardrive\foldername type commands.

b. TimeMachine will let you use that drive once mounted. Now if the drive is connected right to the network i can't help you.

3. InternetDude08 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, what I decided to do was just backup my Documents folder onto a 16GB USB drive. I need some kind of backup right away so that will do.

I really don't see the need to backup the whole HD. As long as I have my files backed up why do I need to spend extra cash on other hardware?

I'm not sure I fully understand Time Machine / Capsule completely. I'm going to have to do some more reading.

I understand that it backs up hourly for the last 24 hours, daily for the last month, and weekly backups beyond that. That's fine. However I don't really understand why I would need to backup the whole system.... As long as I have my important documents and original install discs for software, isn't that enough to restore and get "back to business"? Kinda like what I would do with a PC...?

I'm thinking the only advantage is the time savings of not having to reinstall everything... is that the deal?

4. InternetDude08 thread starter macrumors regular

Bump! My 16GB USB drive is basically full and am now looking at a Windows drive as an option. Has anyone else tried to do that? If it's not possible I'll just buy an external USB drive, I don't want to but I guess I might have to do that.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

To the best of my understanding, a drive has to be formatted HFS+ in order for Time Machine to use it as a backup drive. If the Windows drive you want to use is formatted as anything other than HFS+, it will not work.