How do I setup up PUSH e-mail on an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by myztikal47, Jul 5, 2010.

1. myztikal47 macrumors regular

I switched over from my blackberry bold 9700 to the iPhone 4 and as much as I love it, I can't stand being without my push e-mail. I have my g-mail setup to push my e-mail which works pretty well, but with my bold 9700 I was using BIS and I was able to get all of my 5 different e-mails pushed to my phone. Is there a service or something I have to sign up for that will instantly push my e-mail to my phone? Right now I set it up so my other e-mail accounts are retrieved by my g-mail account but it takes a while for the g-mail to retrieve the e-mails from my other accounts using POP3 and then it finally pushes them to my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Unsafe macrumors newbie

I guess it would depend what provider you're using for your other email account, if you are able to access them via exchange then I guess you could push them from there but as the iPhone does not support IMAP Push :)mad:) your current system of pushing to gmail will be the only way to do it and still have the mail pushing.

3. myztikal47 thread starter macrumors regular

Well my other e-mail addresses are all comcast.net e-mails from my ISP, the other 3 (work, school and gmail) I was able to setup via exchange on the iPhone. The thing with Blackberry BIS was I was able to setup all my comcast.net e-mail addresses too without any problems at all and they all pushed instantly to my phone.

4. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Best thing to do is forward your Comcast emails to your Gmail or change your Comcast email accounts to Yahoo or MobileMe which both have push email capabilities. And yes, BB does email better but getting emails every 15 minutes isn't that big of a deal to me.

5. myztikal47 thread starter macrumors regular

Well manually fetching e-mails KILLS the battery badly so I'd rather have it all pushed.

6. technopimp macrumors 6502a

You sure about that? I would think the opposite to be true (while Push is always maintaining some level of connection, manual fetch is only connecting when you ask it to).

7. myztikal47 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think so, I'm not sure how it works on the iPhone, but on the blackberry the e-mail was pushed to the phone once the blackberry server saw that there was an e-mail recieved. Fetching manually means that the phone will check for a new e-mail every 15mins so if theres no new e-mails on the server that "check" is basically wasted which wastes battery and data, hence the reason push is better.

8. Unsafe macrumors newbie

I've never owned a Blackberry but as far as I know BIS works by having Blackberry's servers poll either the POP3 or IMAP server (Comcast's in your case) to check for new email and then Blackberry's servers push the mail to the phones. The only way to emulate this on the iPhone is to have either your Comcast email account forward to GMail (or another push enabled service such as Yahoo or another Exchange account somewhere) or have them poll Comcast's POP3 or IMAP server to check for new mail and retrieve it and then push it down to your phone.

9. spades1412 macrumors 6502

This is not true!

10. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Any kind of push, by definition, must have a persistent connection to the device. Think about it: when RIM's servers saw you had an e-mail, how would they push it to your BB without a persistent connection? Now, there are differences in how various providers do this.

In RIM's case, they partner with all the cellular carriers to basically use your existing, always-on, cell radio/signal to push notifications to your BB. This is also how Apple's Push Notification Service (APNS) works. Your iPhone, as long as it has a cell signal, also has an IP address on AT&T's network, thus they can send you notifications over that persistent TCP connection.

The difference is that, in order to use utilize this connection, you have to be using a MobileMe e-mail account. If you use Yahoo, the push service uses a second, persistent TCP connection. Same goes for Exchange/Google Sync and Gmail push e-mail service.

One way around this, in the case of Gmail, is downloading a Gmail push app, such as Push for Gmail (my favorite of the two or three I've tried), which uses the developer's servers to push notifications to Apple's APNS servers, which, in turn, send the notification to your phone, so as to not use an extra TCP connection.