How do I share between two Macs on the same wireless network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PaulMoore, Mar 4, 2009.

1. PaulMoore macrumors regular

This is probably very basic but I don't know how to do it...

I have an iMac (2007) running Leopard. I have an iBook (2004) running Tiger. They both share my home wireless network.

How can I best share documents between them? Eg how can I browse the hard drive of each machine from the other- ideally without entering passwords etc every time?

Additionally, the iMac is connected to the printer (because it is also a scanner); can the iBook share the printer too?

Thanks in advance!

2. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

System Preferences > Sharing, enable sharing then add whatever folders you want to share etc.

If you want full access between the 2 you need to know the administrator log in.

Edit:

Save the login in keychain I think is the only solution, unless you enable read/write access to your whole drive to everyone.. meaning if someone hacks into your network etc, you're compromised.

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Printer sharing is easy enough, just select the Share Printer option in the Print/Fax System Pref., and then add that printer in the Sys Prefs of the other computer (it will be listed as being connected through Bonjour).

As far as I know, scanning can only be done through the computer it is plugged into (and then only if it is plugged into a computer as opposed to a router), after that sharing the document should be easy enough as with the comment above.