How do I share contacts now with iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yalag, Oct 4, 2011.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

How do I share contacts now? Before with mobileme, I sync my addressbook between my iphone and my gf's. Now with mobileme dead, we each need to have our own Apple ID for iCloud. How do I see her contacts? I know calendar has a sharing in iCloud feature but what about addressbook?

2. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

3. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Would love to know this too. I want to export my google contacts to iCloud yet there is no import feature on the iCloud site. The only way I found to do it is to download the iCloud panel and export my contacts to outlook then move them through the iCloud panel into iCloud.

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Address Book Preferences
    Then Accounts

You then setup who has sharing rights and whether it's read/write.

iCloud doesn't enter into the equation other than syncing new contact.

5. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

What do you mean? This just allows some other computer to read my addressbook isnt it? I'm trying to share addressbook between two iPhones which mobileme allowed me to do in the past.

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Correct about the MobileMe. The only way to share contacts in iCloud is to use the same Apple ID for iCloud on both devices. If this isn't possible then you can share the contacts using CardDad or LDAP or other methods. Trickier setup but that would allow proper sync through iCloud and then sharing of that data another protocol.

7. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

No, using the same AppleID is not an option and it's probably not an option for any sane couples as iMessage would be a complete mess. Could you give more details about CardDav and LDAP. How would I go about in setting this up?

8. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

Also would like to know this. I'm on iOS 5 right now and when I open icloud it says I need to check my email for instructions and everything is greyed out and I don't see any email. Is it just not live yet?

9. nuckinfutz, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz