How do i...Shortcut to Network Server on Desktop at all times?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TallGlassOfFail, Oct 9, 2009.

1. TallGlassOfFail macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have a NAS server, when i want to use it, i have to go to the network list in the finder, then click the server to list its volumes. My question is, how do i make a shortcut to that server on my desktop?

It seems it is not possible in the finder, but i am open to a terminal hack if necessary.

[​IMG]

Thanks.

2. mathemabeat macrumors member

Click Finder -> Preferences and then click on the General button.

Checkmark Connected Servers

3. j2048b macrumors 6502a

I actually followed anothers advice and created a folder under my name>where the downloads and documents folders are> and dragged all my external servers alias's into that folder and it showed up on my dock just like the documents and downloads folder do:)

pretty bitchin, if you ask me!!

now i have a folder named servers that fans out or does a grid just as the documents and downlloads folders do on the dock!!

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Basically you do like j2048b said, once you are connected to a server, right click on the icon for the share and choose: Make Alias.

You can move this alias where you like. Anytime you click on it, it'll mount the share.

I do the same thing as j2048b. I have a folder with frequent network share aliases in it that I set to be a stack in my dock.

-Kevin

5. mathemabeat macrumors member

How about having you network shares auto mount on your desktop when you login.

System Preferences -> Accounts

Click on Login Items.

Click on the little + symbol and point it to a mounted share.

Now whenever you login, that share will automatically mount on your desktop (provided you have the finder preferences set to display connected servers).

Slick, eh?

6. TallGlassOfFail thread starter macrumors member

That is not it, that checkbox is already ticked and is for mounting the volumes on the desktop, a volume only mounts once i open that volume.

But that is not what i want, its not the volume i am looking to mount on my desktop, it is the server icon i wish to mount on my desktop. I want to be able to see my server as one icon on my desktop, then click that server to see a list of shares.

Indeed that does sound pretty bitchin'. I went with what you suggested, and it works pretty well, shame i have to add new volumes manually though. All in all not bad.

Thanks.

7. j2048b macrumors 6502a

AWESOME TO HEAR!!

shame you have to add new volumes manually...
    not sure how to remedy this?

8. TallGlassOfFail thread starter macrumors member

No not really because the Finder will not permit me to make a shortcut of the actual Server icon itself, which is automatically getting all volumes listed when it is viewed, the suggestion by j2048b works but is a bit of a hack. It is just a folder with shortcuts to each volume. if i added a new volume i would have to add a new shortcut for that one too because the desktop shortcut to my server is not getting the volumes when i open it, it just contains a list of shortcuts i put there myself.